Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

OPV construction

Post by glenhowells »

Now nuship Sydney has been in the water for 2 and half months now why have they not started building the OPV's yet. With them being rather smaller than the AWD's surely there is available space to start building them. Is there a time line in place for the 2 building in SA.
Cheers Glen
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: OPV construction

Post by rritchie71 »

To make the deadline for the new frigates and for WA to take over in 2020, ASC should have started cutting the steel back in April, do not know if they have or not. They did have skills shortages because a lot of the people like boiler makers and fitters etc have already left.

Note - The other important question is, will Civmec be properly ready to take over in time, rumor has it they won't be.

Robert
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

Morrison floats his defence boats vision

ANDREW BURRELL
WA CHIEF REPORTER
@AndrewBurrell7

12:00AM OCTOBER 4, 2018

Wearing the obligatory hard hat and high-vis vest, Scott Morrison got his hands dirty yesterday as he helped cut the first steel for Australia’s new $3.6 billion offshore patrol vessels.

At the end of a three-day trip to Western Australia, the Prime Minister toured the nation’s largest ship assembly hall at engineering firm Civmec’s new $85 million facility. He was accompanied by senior WA Liberals including Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, senator Dean Smith and former foreign minister Julie Bishop.

Ten of the 12 patrol boats will be built at the Civmec facility, starting in 2020.

“This is 1000 jobs, and this is Australian steel going into Australian ships,” Mr Morrison said. “You see the defence supply chain at work — steel from Port Kembla, cutting here, work being done in other parts of the country. This is what our defence industry plan is delivering.”

The government’s $90bn naval ship building program includes 12 submarines, nine future frigates and 21 Pacific patrol boats.

Mr Morrison said the OPV project would help boost the WA economy, which is recovering after several years of recession.
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

nothing much happening (visibly) at ASC just ongoing construction work on shipyard expansion....

B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

My Spies tell me a big order went in for Copper Nickel Pipe with a European manufacturer. Problem was, they tried to go cheap and get lower Spec than was specified in the contract to save money. Lurssen found out and were not amused.
Lets hope there is not a repeat of the debacle where ASC did the same on the first AWD, buying cheapo steel pipe from China. Result.....rip it all out and start again. :no:
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Steel Cut for First Offshore Patrol Vessel

(Source: Australian Department of Defence; issued Oct 23, 2018)

Australia has hit a key milestone in its landmark naval shipbuilding program with the first steel cut for the country’s new Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs).

Australian steel is being used for all 12 OPVs and after being prepared and processed in Western Australia it will be delivered to South Australia. Two ships are being built at Osborne in SA by ASC Shipbuilding before construction for the other ten moves to Civmec in WA in 2020.

Ultimately, the OPV project will create up to 1,000 positions.

The first bolt has also been locked down on the steelwork at the country’s largest ship assembly hall at Civmec’s massive new $85 million facility at Henderson.

The facility will also include a blast and paint workshop, undercover storage, offices and carparks.

The new assembly hall will be bigger than the WACA Ground in Perth and large enough to house multiple OPVs for construction.

The facility project will create around 140 jobs and Civmec estimates it will provide positions for up to 1,000 West Australians, including 100 new apprentices and trainees, when it’s up and running.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Department of Defence a little slow off the mark. This happened on 3rd October?
https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/marit ... rol-vessel

I have to say, the facility they are building looks pretty impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQHhZ8o7YvI

Nige
Last edited by littoralcombat on 24 Oct 2018 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Very impressive, you can see why they felt they didn't need to bring Austal into the build, not when they can do it all in-house in purpose-designed facilities.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

It wasn’t the facilities they wanted Austal for, it was their skills. That’s why they tried to poach staff from Austal, BAE and ASC.

It looks great and a massive investment, so I hope they win a lot of work.

BAE and ASC have traditionally had the maintenance contracts of the larger vessels, so I wonder what will happen here as we are back to 3 shipbuilders completely reliant on defence work, plus Austal who is the only commercially viable enterprise to date.
I would really doubt the OPV’s are enough to keep this going.

Robert
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

All very valid points Robert. It is, after all, people who build Ships and Submarines. Not facilities in the form of steel & concrete.

I think the Civmec Forgacs Management would of wanted any Design other than the BAE T26 to win the Future Frigate Contract. If either the Spanish or Italian designs had been chosen instead, they would have had far better prospects of filling those sheds after the OPV fleet is finished, and the Hunters start maintenance activities.

BAE in Henderson have older premises in comparison, but they still get the job done on the Anzacs. Their only drawback being, in my opinion, their current Union aspect, which is regretable.
The Shiplift would also possibly need an upgrade, as it would be right on the limit of its capacity in both weight and length.

Nige
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)

Post by glenhowells »

I have read some article that the new OPV's will be home ported at FBW and forward deployed to Darwin and Cairns. All maintenance and refits carried out At FBW/Henderson. I'm not to sure about the home port issue but maintenance I fell makes sense. As the OPV are considerably larger than the ACPB the ship lifts in Darwin and Cairns would require upgrades in length and tonnage capacity. Adding to that larger vessels require more berthing space. If facilities up north are not upgraded to accommodate these larger vessels I suppose that supports home porting in the West and East. Just a thought.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

The available wharf space at the bases in Cairns and Darwin are limited, they'd probably have issues with tying up more than three 85 metre OPVs at one time at either.

That supports the FBE /FBW homeporting concept.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Euronaval 2018: Leonardo’s Oto Marlin 40 selected for Australian Project SEA 1180 Phase 1 OPVs
Luca Peruzzi, Paris - Jane's Navy International
26 October 2018

The Australian arm of German shipbuilder Lürssen has selected Leonardo’s Oto Marlin 40 mm gun mount to equip the offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) being built for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) under the Project SEA 1180 Phase 1.

Leonardo has been selected as preferred bidder for arming the new OPVs with our Oto Marlin 40 mm gun system. We are currently engaged in negotiations, being confident to sign a contract by year end,” Marco Buratti, Leonardo’s international marketing and strategic campaigns director, told Jane's during the Euronaval 2018 exhibition in Paris.

A model of Lürssen Australia’s OPV was exhibited at Lürssen’s stand during the show featuring the new gun mount from Leonardo’s defence system division.

http://www.leonardocompany.com/documents/63265270/67172137/OTO_Forty_Light_LQ_mm08749_.pdf

Comment. The new mount is completely new, at least from an exterior perspective, nothing currently available will substitute, requiring a scratchbuilt turret. Unless DM&G gets a contract and makes a master (Hint hint Russ)

Mike
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)

Post by glenhowells »

I know that the OPV's are replacing the ACPB and taking over there role but a few more teeth wouldn't be a bad thing. Tacking away the aviation facilities and advancement in technology. A Fremantle that is less than half the size had more armament. A 40 mm gun really a lot of ship with little bang. Oh well navy knows best maybe.
Cheers Glen
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

glenhowells wrote:I know that the OPV's are replacing the ACPB and taking over there role but a few more teeth wouldn't be a bad thing. Tacking away the aviation facilities and advancement in technology. A Fremantle that is less than half the size had more armament. A 40 mm gun really a lot of ship with little bang. Oh well navy knows best maybe.
Cheers Glen

I agree Glen I would have thought a 76mm OTO like the FFGs had would have been better......for a bit more POP.... :gunsb: :gunsb: :gunsb: :gunsb: :gunsb:

Bruce
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

The gun is interesting, weighing 2 tonnes fully equipped and loaded.

For a start, no deck penetration, which means all ammo is carried on the mount. It apparently has a 72 round mag capable of selecting two different ammo types.

It has a rate of fire of
300 rounds per minute. That does kind of shit all over a Fremantle.

The gun can operate in three modes, run from the CIC, run from a seperate terminal, (the bridge perhaps as local control) or completely autonomous as per the Phalanx. No crew works inside the turret.

Range is 12.7km horizontal and 8.7km vertical

Mike
Last edited by MikeJames on 30 Oct 2018 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)

Post by glenhowells »

Hi Mike
I understand they would not put the good old 40/60 on the OPV (mind you if the navy was still using them they would have bolted one on some where). All I am saying is lightly armed. Yes a 76mm would be better may be a couple a bushmasters or typhoons to beef up the fire power or even a couple of RAM launchers for a war fighting role as a corvette.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

I get the impression that Navy is desperate for them not to be seen as warships, after all they chose the least capable of the three contenders.

I suspect they didn't want anyone (politicians) pointing to a better armed OPV and saying you have warships, why do you want frigates?

In fact I wouldn't have been surprised is some thought wasn't given to painting them white to make them look far more coast guard than navy.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Names released. It looks like the decommissioning of the Armidale's will sever the connection with the cities they are named for. It's an interesting choice, after all, to quote the redoubtable US Admiral Hyman G Rickover when asked why subs were now being named for cities, not sharks and fish, stated 'Fish Don't Vote"

Neither do bodies of water.

MEDIA RELEASE
15 November 2018

ARAFURA CLASS OFFSHORE PATROL VESSELS

The Royal Australian Navy’s Offshore Patrol Vessels will be named the Arafura class, with the first ship entering service in 2022 being named HMAS Arafura.

Minister for Defence, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, welcomed the announcement of the name Arafura, reflecting the strong connection between the Navy and the maritime waters it patrols.

“Assigning a name to a warship is a significant milestone in the introduction of a new capability,” Minister Pyne said.

“This is the first time the Australian Navy has used the name Arafura and represents a new generation of naval operations.”

The naming of ships and units is one of the greatest honours any navy bestows.

“A vessel’s service to our nation and the deeds of its ship’s company throughout its life are recorded and remembered by the name under which it commissions,” Minister Pyne said.

“Named for the Arafura Sea, the name recognises the prominence of Navy’s enduring operations in the northern approaches to Australia to protect our national interests, natural resources and maritime borders.

“The name Arafura will imbue all Navy members who sail in the OPVs with a sense of pride for the waters and country they protect.

“The Arafura Sea stretches from Cape York in the east to Cape Don in the west and encapsulates the importance of the seas surrounding the Australian continent and our connections with our immediate neighbours, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.

“The name honours the significance of the nation’s connection to the sea and those Australian waters in which our nation’s maritime security and economic prosperity depend. It reflects Navy’s continuing work across the Top End.”