RAN colour

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

RAN colour

Post by RussF172 »

I have just learned that an announcement has been made today from Chief of Navy that the traditional RAN Storm Grey colour is going to be phased out and we will be adopting Haze Grey similar to the USN. :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz:

It will be interesting to see when it starts out on the ships. CANBERRA is already in storm grey and so is the new HOBART so I don't know how quickly it will be introduced. I have always liked our colour as it was different to the others so you could always tell our ships from the US. I'm not planning on any colour changes to my fleet yet.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: RAN colour

Post by MikeJames »

Any additional post war RAN ships I build will be in N42 Storm Grey.

Bloody stupid decision, our ships are distinctive and there are plenty of very good reasons we don't want to be mistaken for US ships.

Mike
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member
My Ship Yard: HMS Cleopatra F28, HMS TARTAR F28

Post by MichaelB »

I found a technical article on the patent for this paint which says normal Haze Grey reflectance in 28% and this new paint is 49%.

Sounds good until you remember that the old RN pre WW2 AP507C Med Fleet Grey which the RAN used to use had a reflectance of 45%.

Can't find any comments on reflectance of Storm Grey on the net.

May be the RAN should go back to AP507C or even better the RN pre war white and buff scheme. Anyone able to photoshop Hobart in these colours.

Before you laugh too much, the US Navy has been trialling a white ship in the Gulf because of the heat and their ammo lockers were at one stage there white for the same reason.
Attachments
agf-3-DNSC9305665.jpg
agf-3-DNST9207113.jpg
th.jpg
th.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

They are saying that it reduces the surface temp by about 20 deg C, but the main thing is apparently the hardness of the paint. It last longer than ours but why couldn't we produce a new paint that was based on the USN stuff but in our colour. The powers that be, have spoken. :taz: :taz: :taz:
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

The actual colour is simply a matter of final tint, the base could be the same as Haze Grey, but the final result would be Storm Grey.

Besides, USN Hazer Grey differs, ships on the Atlantic Coast are generally darker than Pacific-based ships.

As for white ships, the US Navy's Persian Gulf flagship, for many years USS Lasalle, was painted white as Michael pointed out.

Then there is the blue colour that the RAN tried out on Fremantle, apparently even more effective than Storm Grey, but some unlamented Chief of Navy didn't like the colur, so it was never adopted despite being very effective.

MJ
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member
My Ship Yard: HMS Cleopatra F28, HMS TARTAR F28

Post by MichaelB »

I assume then that the USS Hobart wil be commissioned in this colour, when is that due to happen?