HMAS BUNDABERG

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

HMAS BUNDABERG

Post by RussF172 »

Just found out that HMAS BUNDERBURG an Armidale Class Patrol Boat has been completely destroyed in a fire at a covered dockyard in Brisbane. Apparently a welder repairing cracks in the aluminium hull started the fire which quickly took hold. Watch the news for more. Those that went on the cruise last year for the IFR saw her up close when she came past us towards the end of the cruise. What a shame.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: HMAS BUNDABERG

Post by MikeJames »

From the Brisbane Crimes

Navy ship HMAS Bundaberg goes up in flames in Brisbane's east

A black plume of smoke from the inferno can be seen right across Brisbane.

A boat goes up in flames at Hemmant, east of Brisbane. Photo: Seven News

A large navy ship fire east of Brisbane has been brought under control after three hours.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus remain at a commercial boat shed on Barku Court in Hemmant, about 11 kilometres east of the CBD. Earlier, about 50 firefighters and 16 fire trucks were called to the scene.

Authorities have confirmed the ship on fire is the HMAS Bundaberg, a navy vessel that was in Brisbane for routine maintenance.

A boat goes up in flames at Hemmant, east of Brisbane. Photo: Seven News

Fire crews were called to the shipyards on the Brisbane River at 11.52am after an automated alarm went off.

"The boat was fully involved when we arrived," a Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said.

Two people were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

Initial reports were that a 70-foot boat was ablaze, however the HMAS Bundaberg is much larger.

The Armidale-class patrol boat is about 56 metres long and was commissioned in 2007.

According to the Navy website, the HMAS Bundaberg (II) and 13 sister vessels are used for fisheries protection, immigration, customs and drug law enforcement operations.

HMAS Bundaberg, which caught fire during maintenance in Brisbane. Photo: ADF

"Defence understands that at least two civilian contractors suffered smoke inhalation and were treated at the scene," A Defence spokesman said in a statement.

"No members of the Navy crew were injured in the incident.

"The cause of the fire is not known at this time

"An assessment of damage and an investigation into the cause of the fire will be undertaken once it is safe to do so."
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

More images.

You can see the aluminium melting on the superstructure side.

BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

Wow....that is well cooked, I caught the end of that report on the news when I got in from work did not realize it was a Armidale going up!!

Atleast nobody got killed!!

Bruce
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Complete write off apparently.

Mind you, she wasn't long for this world anyway, the cracks and other damage to the rest of the fleet means that they need to be replaced sometime in the next few years, at most.

I wonder if the idiots welding in the engine room were trying to fix some of the cracking?

MIke
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

It made news all over in the maritime world (page 21). Attached is newsletter that I get, it originates from the Netherlands.
It's very informative if want to keep abreast of what is happening in the oceans.

Cheers

Robert
Attachments
224-12-08-2014.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 270 times
cootafleet
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Brisbane
My Ship Yard: lcm3,flower class corvette,pt109,freelance fire support ship LONGTAN.

Post by cootafleet »

Should that be HMAS BLUNDERBERG
COOTAFLEET [B1]
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member
My Ship Yard: HMS Cleopatra F28, HMS TARTAR F28

Post by MichaelB »

There are some seriously ugly ships in that newsletter.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Complete write off.

Fire kills off navy patrol boat HMAS Bundaberg

NAVY patrol boat HMAS Bundaberg will be written off after being gutted by fire a week ago.

The patrol boat is one of 14 Armidale-class vessels operated by the navy and cost about $35 million.

The boats have been heavily involved in border protection operations. Bundaberg was undergoing extensive maintenance in a Brisbane shipyard when the fire erupted. It was insured.

Bundaberg was being worked on in a shed at Aluminium Boats Australia when it burst into flames about noon last Monday.

Teams from the Queensland Fire Brigade battled for four hours to get the intense fire under control.

Two civilian contractors were treated for smoke inhalation while other civilian and naval personnel were safely evacuated.

Royal Australian Navy chief Tim Barrett said this week the vessel was on extended maintenance at the time and the fire would not impact on border protection operations.

“Navy personnel are well trained in fighting fires at sea, but when our ships are ashore, outside of their natural habitat, we look to the skills and expertise of civilian firefighters to help us ­respond to serious incidents,” he said. “The most important thing is that no one was seriously harmed.”

The Abbott government is considering several options to replace all of the Armidales.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Hi all,

Just heard that Bundaberg will be recycled, what can be salvaged has been, the rest will be sold for recycling (ah the joys of aluminium).

The inquiry into the cause of the fire is wrapping up, but it looks like the company doing the maintenance work when the ship was lost will wear it in the neck for a number of reasons, OH&S, inadequately trained and supervised workers, failure to undertake basic precautions when using high temperature items near aluminium, etc.

There is no intention of replacing Bundaberg, at least not until the replacement Patrol Boat project is underway some years down the track, so the patrol boat force will soldier on one boat down until they retire.

There was a suggestion from Austal that Navy order one of the Customs Boats that are derivative of the Armidale's as a replacement for Bundaberg, apparently Austal was firmly told where to put their aluminium-hulled boat

She only saw seven years in commission. :(

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Hi Mike,

A sad end to Bundaberg, but can I ask your source of info regarding Austal being told where to go?
It seems strange that if Defense were apparently so 'Anti-Aluminium' (that has a ring to it, I should take out a patent), then why would the Commonwealth order another eight similar vessels for Customs and Border Protection. Or is it a case that we should not be trusting the Government to 'ORDER' a (suitable) canoe?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Nigel
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

It wasn't coming from the Commonwealth, that opinion was coming from within Navy.

There are a significant number of people there who always opposed the acquisition of an aluminium-hulled vessel, on the basis of strength, fire hazard and durability. Those people see themselves as having been vindicated by the on-going problems with the Armidale's, this incident with Bundaberg is simply seen as icing on the cake.

Needless to say there's a lot of 'told you so's' happening in Russell Offices and Austal's reputation isn't the best.

Custom's bought their new vessels on the basis that they were low risk Armidale derivatives that were competitive in price. Plus Customs has a better experience with Aluminium hulled vessels via the Bay Class patrol boats that preceded their new Cape Class.

Mike