My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

RAN Riverine / amphibious capability

Post by MikeJames »

Interesting. From the most recent Parliamentary transcripts

The Government has outlined a number of other future investments in the Integrated Investment Program that will further expand our amphibious capability.

Indeed, the ADF’s Riverine Patrol capability will be re-established to increase tactical mobility in the littoral zone. The Riverine Patrol capability will deliver a fleet of lightly armed boats in the mid-2020s to allow operations in a wide range of littoral environments. The capability will provide a force element that is capable of effective support to littoral combat operations.

We will also need to support these new capabilities with increased personnel and training facilities.

Around 700 additional ADF positions will be needed for force generation for amphibious operations from the Canberra Class amphibious ships; amphibious support systems, including over the beach logistics and beached materiel recovery; armed medium-altitude, long-endurance unmanned aircraft; tactical unmanned aircraft; a long-range rocket capability; and combat support systems.

In the longer-term, as indicated in the White Paper, the Government will consider a new Northern Advanced Joint Training Area to support large-scale, joint and combined amphibious training, in addition to Shoalwater Bay, which is currently our only other large-scale training area with a joint amphibious training capacity.

I wonder if this aligns with suggestions I had heard of for a riverine capability utilising vessels such as the Combat Boat 90 for operations around the Cape York peninsula, the Gulf Country and the areas around the Northern Territory's coastlines and rivers. It would also be very useful in the littoral surrounding most of our Norther neighbours.

Mike
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Re: RAN Riverine / amphibious capability

Post by glenhowells »

Hi Mike
I have seen read about this to. What i read was that the army will be running the show as part of there water transport units.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

I agree that the capability should reside in Army, they work best in that riverine / littoral space and the operations will mostly be in support of land operations.

Reason I mentioned the Combat Boat 90 is that a lot of Marine forces use the boat for just such roles, including the Dutch and the USMC. The Royal Marines trialled operating Combat Boat 90s from the davits of their equivalents to Adelaide and Canberra, that is HM Ships Bulwark and Albion.

Mike
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

I'll have to break out the master I started to make of the CB90. Got some details of it many years ago at one of the PACIFIC shows. I thought I would make up a couple to carry on CANBERRA. Now to get one in 72 scale working. They would be 220mm long with a beam of 53mm.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

There is a 1:12 Combat Boat 90 that Dave Pierce and Craig Taylor were looking at videos of, I understand they are ARTR for around $1500, which includes the two waterject's that propell it.