Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

‘The Steel Cat’ floats again

Post by MikeJames »

‘The Steel Cat’ floats again

15 Dec 2016

ASC workers celebrate the launch of air warfare destroyer Brisbane. Credit: The Advertiser

The Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) program reached a significant milestone in Adelaide today as the second of three destroyers was formally named and launched into Australian waters for the first time.

Minister Tehan represented the Government as the Brisbane was officially named and launched. Her predecessor, the guided missile destroyer HMAS Brisbane, was fondly known in the fleet as ‘the Steel Cat’, a nickname that alluded to the leopard that tops the crest of the City of Brisbane and which also appears on the ship’s crest.

“Australia is undertaking an unprecedented upgrade of its naval capabilities, and the additional of the Brisbane to our fleet will help ensure our ongoing national security,” Minister Tehan said.

Minister Pyne said many companies came together to get the second AWD in the water.

*“I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the shipbuilder ASC, mission systems integrator Raytheon Australia, ship build manager Navantia and the Government’s representative, Defence, on this momentous occasion.

“The construction and integration work occurring here in Adelaide on the AWD program is a vital part of South Australia’s shipbuilding industry.”

Over the coming months, outfitting of Brisbane will continue, as will the loading of combat system equipment.*

Ship 01, Hobart, will sail into waters off the coast of South Australia on sea trials early next year to undertake testing of combat and communications systems and further platform system testing. ADM understands she will be joined by the Spanish Armada’s AWD of matching design, Cristóbal Colón during the trials.

The third destroyer will now move forward into its final position in the shipyard where it will finish being consolidated into a full ship.

ENDS

Good to see the name return, the Steel Cat rides again
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: ‘The Steel Cat’ floats again

Post by RussF172 »

Certainly nice to see the new BRISBANE taking shape. She was apparently around 85% complete when she entered the water compared with HOBART that was around 70%. She is now at 97% complete.
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

We in Adelaide were told yesterday that Brisbane is 7 months ahead of schedule in her build time and under budget. Not sure how true this is but it was all over the media. (must be true) :lol1:
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

scott154 wrote:We in Adelaide were told yesterday that Brisbane is 7 months ahead of schedule in her build time and under budget. Not sure how true this is but it was all over the media. (must be true) :lol1:
As someone who works in and with the media, I find your lack of faith...refreshing