Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Italian frigate contender in Australia

Post by glenhowells »

The Italian frigate ITS Carabiniere has left Fremantle after a five day visit It's now on route to Adelaide. It is planed to visit Melbourne and Sydney as well. She will also exercise with the RAN to sea how well it would fit in to the future fleet. I would expect that she will be looked at very closely as the Italians try to push the sale. My bet is still the Spanish design as a large number of our ships are going to be of Spanish origin. A big plus is all the ships share the same systems and commonality across the board.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: Italian frigate contender in Australia

Post by MikeJames »

Images shot by plane spotters so an emphasis on the NH-90

MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

From the West Australian newspaper

Italian naval stallion to berth at Fremantle

Peter Milne
Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:44AM

Fincantieri ‘Carabiniere’ class frigate

Italian shipbuilding giant Fincantieri is visiting WA, complete with a sample warship to display, to assess whether local companies are capable of contributing to Australia’s Future Frigates program.

The Italian navy frigate Carabiniere, which started service with the Italian Navy in 2015, will dock in Fremantle today as part of a public relations blitz which will allow people to see the anti-submarine warship up close.

Fincantieri is one of three European ship designers short-listed to replace the existing Anzac Class frigate fleet with nine anti-submarine frigates.
WA Commerce Minister Michael Mischin , who met Fincantieri officials last night, said he expected WA industry to contribute to the $30 billion Future Frigate program.

“Fincantieri will hold an industry briefing on February 2 to gain a greater understanding of the State’s shipbuilding capabilities and include local suppliers in its procurement supply chain, if it becomes the successful tenderer,” he said.

Fincantieri representatives will meet local firms to understand their capability with a view to including them in its procurement if it becomes the successful tenderer.

The Carabiniere will participate in joint training with the Royal Australian Navy.

Fincantieri ‘Carabiniere’ class frigate. Picture: Marina Militare.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

HMAS Adelaide and Italian ship Carabiniere PASSEX

The Bergamini-class frigate Carabiniere, of the Italian Navy, steams in company with HMAS Adelaide off the eastern coast of Australia.