Australian White Ensign

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Australian White Ensign

Post by RussF172 »

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the RAN flying the White Ensign which we are so familiar with. It was first flown from 0800 on the 1st of March 1967 from the requisitioned cargo vessel named HMAS BOONAROO. Celebrations are being held all over Australia on ships and bases at the ceremony of "Colours" this morning. There are three non-commissioned vessels that fly the White Ensign each day as they have a special dispensation. These are the ex-HMAS VAMPIRE, ex-HMAS ONSLOW both at the National Maritime Museum in Sydney and the STS YOUNG ENDEAVOUR.

Happy Birthday to the AWE.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Re: Australian White Ensign

Post by littoralcombat »

Interesting Info Russ, Thanks!
kerryjames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Wagga Wagga
My Ship Yard: hmas melbourne ijn shinarno hmnzs warkato hmas wagga uss lexington

Post by kerryjames »

Did the guard for the new flag at HMAS CEBERUSE while on the stokers course and it was stinking hot on the bull ring that day in sixes,100 man guard it was fun day. :) :)
phillip08
President
President
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: HMAS Vendetta II
HMAS Sydney II
HMAS Hobart (under construction)
HMAS Parramatta (under construction)
HMAS Sydney FFG (under construction)

Post by phillip08 »

Navy PR most have been on their game yesterday, it was every impressive to see the Supersized AWE flying from the western side flag pole on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. This was the ensign they used under the Helo when the the Fleet reveiw was on.

While It was a dull over-cast day with a nor-esterly blowing the AWE could be clearly seen from nautical miles away (I picked it up at Wattle St at the start of the Western bypass at Haberfield), the blue ensign fades in the back ground. Coming up onto the bridge it was even more impressive to the the Blue and White Flags together in fully extended on the breeze.

Regards
Phil