First Cape Class Patrol Boat for Royal Australian Navy Officially Named Cape Fourcroy

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

First Cape Class Patrol Boat for Royal Australian Navy Officially Named Cape Fourcroy

Post by MikeJames »

(Source: Austal; issued May 01, 2017)

ADV Cape Fourcroy crew celebrate the naming of the vessel (Austal photo)

Austal Limited has joined the Royal Australian Navy in celebrating the official naming of the ninth Cape-class patrol boat designed and constructed by Austal, at a ceremony held at the HMAS Stirling naval base in Western Australia.

The first of two Cape-class patrol boats to be delivered to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) under a A$63 million contract, ADV Cape Fourcroy is named after the western most tip of Bathurst Island in the Northern Territory.

The naming ceremony at HMAS Stirling was attended by Commodore Luke Charles-Jones representing the RAN Fleet Commander; Captain Warren Bairstow, Commander Mine Warfare, Hydrographic and Patrol Forces; Captain Brian Delamont, Commanding Officer HMAS Stirling; Commander Mark Taylor, Commanding Officer of ADV Cape Fourcroy; and Gordon Blaauw, Austal’s Head of Design.

"Austal is delighted to deliver Cape Fourcroy, the first of two Cape-class patrol boats for the Royal Australian Navy and we look forward to completing this current contract with the on-time, on-budget delivery of Cape Inscription later this month.” Gordon Blaauw said.

“We’re exceptionally proud of the proven Cape-class platform, which has set a new benchmark in patrol boat design and operability. These Austal designed and built vessels are helping secure and protect Australia’s extensive maritime borders, with eight operated by the Australian Border Force and two to be operated by the RAN, “ Blaauw added.

Austal’s 58 metre Cape-class patrol boat was specifically designed to meet the unique border protection and maritime security requirements of the Australian Border Force and Royal Australian Navy. With a top speed of 26 knots and an operation range of up to 4,000 nautical miles the Cape-class is a critical part of Australia’s ongoing maritime security. The vessel operates with a crew of 22 and is capable of operating 28-day patrols in sea state 4 with the ability to launch two boats simultaneously.

Commenting on the delivery and naming of this latest Cape-class, Austal Chief Executive Officer David Singleton said Austal’s experience in designing and building defence vessels is demonstrated by the company’s successful delivery of a total 73 patrol boats for domestic and international markets since 1998. Mr Singleton explained that the Cape Class Patrol Boat Program underpins Austal's strategy to achieve the right balance between export and domestic production and is the basis for a sustainable model of naval shipbuilding in Australia.

“Exports derived from defence programs, like Cape, highlight ’the multiplier effect’ on local job creation, when Australian suppliers are engaged to deliver both domestic and international contracts. Every program we deliver creates both direct and indirect jobs, across the country. Austal has always operated with an export focus, and we continue to deliver four out of every five ships for the international market.” Singleton added.

Austal is currently bidding with German designer Fassmer to design and build 12 new Offshore Patrol Vessels for the Australian Navy, as part of the Australian Government’s Continuous Naval Shipbuilding Program. The continuation of Austal providing critical capability for the Commonwealth of Australia (through the Pacific Patrol Boat Replacement Project) and RAN (with the Cape Class and OPV) will not only contribute to Australia’s sovereign shipbuilding industry, but provide a prominent base for increased export opportunities, globally.

Austal is currently pursuing export opportunities for variations of the Bay Class, Cape Class and Guardian Class (Pacific) Patrol Boats, for customers in the Middle East and Asia with expectations that this activity will result in even greater vessel design, construction and sustainment work and supply chain engagement in Australia.

-ends-
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: First Cape Class Patrol Boat for Royal Australian Navy Officially Named Cape Fourcroy

Post by RussF172 »

Hopefully we will see Matt Hams name,one of our members, on that dignitary list for the next one as he is slated to be her CO.
mphams70
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: FFG03 (HMAS Sydney) - Under Construction
DDG41 (HMAS Brisbane) - Under Construction
BB63 (USS Missouri) - Under Construction
ACPB95 (HMAS Maryborough) - Under Construction
R21 (HMAS Melbourne) - Under Construction

Re: First Cape Class Patrol Boat for Royal Australian Navy Officially Named Cape Fourcroy

Post by mphams70 »

Thanks Russ. My posting isn't until December, so I won't be there for the "Naming Ceremony", but look forward to Command later in the year.
Matt.

“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” ― Winston Churchill
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

Hey Matt, I found those DDG drawings for you. I have one set in about 1:150 and another set in 1:96. I can get them copied and posted over as I need to send a set of drawings over Andrew Kemp so can post them together and you can hand over at a sail day if that works out.
mphams70
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: FFG03 (HMAS Sydney) - Under Construction
DDG41 (HMAS Brisbane) - Under Construction
BB63 (USS Missouri) - Under Construction
ACPB95 (HMAS Maryborough) - Under Construction
R21 (HMAS Melbourne) - Under Construction

Post by mphams70 »

Russ, That would be greatly appreciated. Big fan of your work.
Matt.

“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” ― Winston Churchill