My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Navantia cuts first AOR steel

Post by MikeJames »

20 Jun 2017

Navantia has announced steel cut for the first of the Royal Australian Navy’s two auxiliary oiler and replenishment ships (AORs) being built in Spain under Project Sea 1654 Phase 3 (Maritime Operational Support Capability).

Destined to become a familiar silhouette on the horizon – Navantia’s Cantabria in service with the Armada. Credit: Defence

Navantia was awarded the contract to construct the ships which will replace the Navy’s current supply ships HMA Ships Success and Sirius. The new AORs are scheduled to be delivered by 2019 and 2020.

Managing director Navantia Australia Francisco Barón said today marks an important milestone for Sea 1654.

“Navantia understands the importance of meeting targets at the initial design and build stages to deliver a capability on time and on budget and that’s why the importance of cutting steel today, on schedule, is so important,” Barón concluded.

Australian industry will play a key role in the build of the AORs with a minimum $120 million of investment into Australian products, skills and expertise. As part of this, 4,500 tonnes of the steel has been sourced from BlueScope.

Navantia Australia board member and former DMO boss Warren King said Navantia’s engagement with Australian industry to build the AORs highlights the capability and capacity of local businesses which has been further demonstrated in the build of the Navantia designed Hobart Class destroyers.

“We have a world class supply chain right here in Australia – it’s a combination of the right skills, right people and right attitude – that’s something Navantia Australia has come to know over the years engaged with the Australian supply chain.”

In addition to BlueScope’s steel the AORs Integrated Platform Management System – the system that controls and monitors all the platform systems – will be built in Australia by NSAG, Navantia’s joint venture with Adelaide based SAGE Automation.

Hobart’s Taylor Bros will supply a range of services including hospital, laundry and galley fitouts while SAAB Australia will supply the combat management systems and Raytheon Australia will supply the communications systems.

Navantia has full responsibility for the sustainment of both ships for their first five years of operation and is already working in the sustainment arrangements for the future ships which will imply a bigger presence in Sydney and the opening of an office in WA to support and maintain both ships.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Re: Navantia cuts first AOR steel

Post by glenhowells »

Was there talks of a 3rd ship to fill the gap when one was in refit or docking, or was that just a pipe dream?.
Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

White Paper suggested a third ship was an option for the mid-2025s to support the RAN in multiple deployments

Success was always the hardest worked ship in the fleet.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Just an update.

Steel been cut for the second ship HMAS Stalwart. She is due for delivery in 2020.

Navantia cuts steel on second AOR for RAN

Spanish shipbuilder Navantia has begun work on the second auxiliary oiler replenishment (AOR) on order for the Royal Australian Navy, to become Her Majesty's Australian Ship Stalwart (RAN).

A first steel-cutting ceremony for the ship was held on 4 April at the company's premises in the northern Spanish municipality of Fene, the company announced that same day, adding that construction of both ships, which are scheduled for delivery in 2019 and 2020 respectively, will require shipbuilders to spend more than 3 million working hours.

In May 2016 the Australian government and Navantia signed an AUD642 million (USD494 million) contract for the delivery and initial in-service support of the two vessels, which are set to replace the RAN replenishment ships HMAS Success and HMAS Sirius .

ENDS

Three years from contract signing to delivery of HMAS Supply, that's damned fast for a Naval contract.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Considering they were based on an in-service design, albeit with some modifications to suit Antipodean requirements, three years seems like a long time in my opinion. Especially as they are essentially tankers with Military attributes, with a lot of commercial off-the-shelf kit. I do like the look of them however, but as stated before, I am concerned about the single drive-line. :stupid:
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

HMA Ships Supply and Sirius were both single screw vessels.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Yes Mike they are, and that would be a severe handicap should they suffer an Engineering Casualty through either mechanical failure or battle damage, a trend we have chosen to continue with their replacements.
Let me put it like this in a very simplistic example of where provision of critical system redundancy is a good idea. ;)
Our sailing lake here in FBP, Jackadder, is sometimes badly affected by the dreaded pond-weed. I have lost count of the number of times that various models have had a shaft so badly fouled that it will no longer turn at all. However, given that most of the models here are equipped with at least two shafts (I can think of only three that have a single shaft-line, a Submarine, Tug and Puffer), they have been able to limp back to shore to have the offending green stuff removed. (On very rare occasions, both shafts have been seized solid, then we are at the mercy of the Wind Gods or the assistance of another model) The occasional loose shaft coupling can also occur and impose the same limitation to operations.
The comparison of loss of function is there and plain to see, both in 1/1 & 1/72nd scales.

There is however, one advantage of single drive-line ships....... they are cheaper to purchase and maintain. Is that a benefit that would be welcomed by a Crew operating their Ship that lost propulsion, during either Peacetime or Wartime? I think not. :no:
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

A little piece of information that's come out of the AOR build program, as the first of our new replenishment ships nears launch over in Spain.

Compared with the Cantabria, NUSHIPS Supply and Stalwart are some 3 metres longer overall, with the same beam, draught, and displacement. They have the same range, sustained speed, ammunition and provisions capacity, but Cantabria carries 9% more marine fuel, 9% more JP-5 aviation fuel, and 54% more fresh water. Additionally, Cantabria can carry and operate 2-3 helicopters, in contrast to the single helicopter of the RAN's new replenishment ships.

So we paid the designer and builder to modify the ship we selected, to be slightly larger than the ship we selected, but less effective at it's primary job than the ship we slected, which is to transport and transfer fuel and conduct vertrep (vertical replenishment, and we paid Navantia a pile of money to do so.

WTF were they thinking?
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

I know why they have 54% less water capacity!! they fitted a bigger sewage tank......got haul the poo about somehow!! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

Why the hell would you reduce the amount of fuel and number of helos. Helo capable ships are so versatile and to have a ship able to carry a couple of air frames would be such an advantage. The RAN loved having the FFGs that were capable of carrying two aircraft (not that they did it a lot - we did on the first Gulf Deployment) which was such an advantage over many other countries with ships carrying single helos.

Ever since, they have built ships that could only carry one. Even the initial draft of the AWD was for a ship with two hangers and what did we end up with, a ship (only HOBART and BRISBANE - SYDNEY is being changed during build I believe) that can't even carry our current new aircraft the MH-60R as the hanger has to be modified. When the AWD was first drawn up they went off the specs for the S-70 SEAHAWK and the new ROMEO is wider with its stub wings for tanks or missiles. HOBART has gone to the US for missile system testing and hasn't even got her own organic aircraft for range clearance etc.

The more aircraft the better in my mind. Why are we paying these numb nuts to do ask for these changes. Rant over :taz: