My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Navy's top ships of 2010 announced

Post by MikeJames »

Pride of the Navy announced

Australian warship HMAS Melbourne which is currently serving in the Middle East, has been recognised as the best ship in the fleet, with the announcement of the 2010 Fleet Proficiency Awards today.

Melbourne was awarded two of the top prizes, the Gloucester Cup and the Spada Shield for excellence in capability generation, safety, seamanship, reliability and unit level training.

Melbourne under the command of Commander Michael Harris, RAN, will be presented with her trophies when she returns from her Operation Slipper duties in the New Year.

Commander Australian Fleet, Rear Admiral Steven Gilmore, AM, CSC, RAN who made the announcement today, acknowledged the considerable effort made in training over the past twelve months.

“It is with great pride that I acknowledge the hard work and commitment demonstrated by the winning ships’ companies,” said Rear Admiral Gilmore.

“The competition for the 2010 awards was extremely strong and required every individual to be dedicated to their respective task.

“The excellence demonstrated by these ships is world-class, and every member should be justifiably proud.”

Melbourne wasn’t the only unit to be recognised today, with establishment HMAS Cairns winning the Governors Cup identified as the foremost in shore operations.

Nowra based 816 Squadron, which operate the S70B2 Seahawk helicopters, were awarded the McNichol trophy for being the leading aviation unit, while replenishment ship HMAS Success was acknowledged with the Amphibious Afloat Support Group Efficiency Shield.

Armidale Class Patrol Boat crew Attack Two took out the Kelly Shield, while former Mine Hunter Crew One was awarded the Rushcutter Shield. HMAS Wewak was identified as the foremost in its class, taking out the LCH Proficiency Shield, while HMAS Mermaid won the Hydrographic Excellence Award and HMAS Dechaineux won the Submarine Fighting Proficiency Award.

Mike