My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

FCP 10-01 Navy's Fleet sails into action off the East Coast

Post by MikeJames »

Navy's Fleet sails into action off the East Coast

Eleven Australian Navy warships have sailed out of Sydney Harbour to begin an intensive five-week war game stretching from Southern New South Wales to Queensland.

The Fleet Concentration Period (FCP 10) is an annual event, designed to test and hone the skills of thousands of men and women from the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). The New Zealand Navy will also be on show, with the giant multirole ship HMNZS Canterbury playing a key role in the exercise.

The exercise will begin at Jervis Bay, with anti-surface warfare serials, surface gunnery against towed targets and naval gunfire support against shore batteries. It will then progress to more complex scenarios and the task group will head north to the coast off Newcastle for comprehensive anti-air warfare manoeuvres against RAAF Hawk aircraft.

Simultaneously, an amphibious ship, clearance divers and an Army combat team will conduct in-depth training within Queensland's Shoalwater Bay Training Area, culminating in an amphibious landing of soldiers from the 3rd Brigade (3 Bde). Whilst in Jervis Bay simulated mine clearance operations, utilising advanced technological equipment and Navy divers, will occur.

Commodore Training, Commodore Daryl Bates, says it will be a very busy time for the RAN.

"The training these ships will undertake over the next five weeks will be as challenging as it is varied. The aim is to make sure we are well prepared for the year ahead," Commodore Bates said.

FCP 10 is part of the RAN's ongoing training program and will increase Australian Defence Force capability to protect Australia and its interests. In addition FCP 10 will strengthen defence relationships and improve interoperability with the Royal New Zealand Navy. It is a carefully planned activity and will be conducted within strict environmental, safety and risk management constraints.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: FCP 10-01 Navy's Fleet sails into action off the East Coast

Post by MikeJames »

Hi everyone,

I thought you might like to see some photos I've taken at sea over the last few weeks of the Fleet Concentration Period. Most of these photos were taken during a spectacular set of OOWMANs which we did last week off Jervis Bay. It looked a lot like a Task Force 72 day except the ships were 1:1 scale, not 1:72.

Most of the FBE based ships which are able to go to sea have been out at some point, we have also been joined by HMA Ships ANZAC, ARUNTA, WARRAMUNGA and SIRIUS from Western Australia and HMNZS TE MANA from New Zealand.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers,

Carl :-)

POMT Carl Linkenbagh
I/C ME01- Propulsion Systems
HMAS BALLARAT (FFH-155)

Defend The Flag
Attachments
Te Mana passing the heads with the Sydney skyline in the background
Te Mana passing the heads with the Sydney skyline in the background
HMNZS Te Mana in a high speed turn to Port
HMNZS Te Mana in a high speed turn to Port