USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

ASMD upgrades in WA

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

A source over in WA informs me that HMAS Arunta is currently undergoing the ASMD upgrades during her refit (and currently sporting a red oxide paint job) and HMAS Perth is also in refit/maintenance over there at the moment too...

might be some good photo opp's for any of the Perth lads building ANZAC's...........

Cheers Bruce (B2) :nuke: :nuke:
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: ASMD upgrades in WA

Post by RussF172 »

ANZAC is also being upgraded at the moment too Bruce. She is sitting alongside ARUNTA on the slip at Henderson. ARUNTA will be completed by first quarter of next year and ANZAC sometime after that, probably towards the end of the year. By then another one will be in for upgrade (I believe WARRAMUNGA but not confirmed).
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: ASMD upgrades in WA

Post by MikeJames »

Latest news from the grey sponge

HMAS Arunta Returns to Sea

(Source: Australian Department of Defence; issued June 27, 2014)

A significant milestone has been achieved in the Anti-Ship Missile Defence (ASMD) Upgrade Programme with HMAS Arunta setting sail for her sea acceptance trials this week.

Chief Executive Officer, Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) Mr. Warren King and the Chief of Navy Vice Admiral Ray Griggs, AO, CSC, RAN, together congratulated all those involved in the programme.

Mr. King said the ASMD Project will deliver a capability providing an improved level of self defence against modern anti-ship missiles for the Royal Australian Navy’s ANZAC Class frigates. Arunta was the second of the eight ANZAC Frigates to complete the upgrade.

“This has been achieved by successfully integrating the Australian designed CEA Phased Array Radar with an upgraded SAAB Combat Management System,” Mr. King said.

“This is a world class capability which was proven by HMAS Perth with successful missile firings off the coast of Hawaii in September 2013.”

Mr. King said the ASMD Upgrade Programme, which also includes major maintenance and repair work, is continuing with HMAS ANZAC due to undock and commence Harbour Acceptance Trials in July and the remaining five ships to be upgraded by 2017.

“I acknowledge the success of the programme has been due to the outstanding efforts and collaboration by BAE Systems, SAAB, CEA Technologies, Navy, the DMO, and the Defence Science and Technology Organisation,” Mr. King said.

VADM Griggs joined Mr. King’s praise for the programme’s success.

“This programme provides the ANZAC Class and the Navy with a capability that is world class and will be a contributing feature of our ability to fight and win at sea,” VADM Griggs said.

During the last eighteen months every compartment within HMAS Arunta has been affected with more than 30,000 metres of fibre optic cabling laid. A substantial maintenance package was also completed to ensure compliance with the tenets of seaworthiness.

-ends-