Club Event Discussion
SergeSera
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Currently building HMS Brilliant F90,
Ardent F184 commissioned.

FB-Perth Sail day

Post by SergeSera »

Good Day All,

Fleet base Perth had their sail day today. If you believed the weather forecast from BoM, we would be looking at high winds and rain, not great for sailing and sensible people stay home. Well we did not believe the forecast, and it turned out to be a great day, yes it was overcast and it did rain, washed of all the dust from the decks the water at Jackadder Lake was nearly mirror smooth, what a great day for sailing.

Rob brought along a new addition to FBP floating docks. The Roosevelt and Ardent used them, and I think It will help to make the anchorage a lot more space efficient - check the photos.

Members at the meet were Rob Ritchie - Roosevelt, Myself - Serge with Ardent, and Nigel Rocki with Toowoomba, Pete P was also there no ship as he had family business and Graham Walker skipper of Arrow - which is currently in dry dock for some minor work.
As I said the day was brilliant and for those skippers with no ships in the water, they got to skipper other models.

Looking forward FBP are looking at attending WASMEX on April 29/3, we are still deciding how many of us will be attending and whether we attend for the full 2 days of the event. Just to explain WASMEX is the WA Modelling Expo, where hobbiests and kit retailers display their work and wares - a great platform to promote ourselves.

Till next sail days
Cheers

Serge FBP
Attachments
Toowoomba
Toowoomba
Roosevelt
Roosevelt
Ardent
Ardent
Roosevelt and Ardent using the docks
Roosevelt and Ardent using the docks
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: FB-Perth Sail day

Post by MikeJames »

The only issue with the docks is that if someone goes by and leaves a decent wake behind it which then hits the dock, the ships moored alongside can roll heavily and smack up against the dock, potentially damaging fittings like stanchions, flight deck nets and the like.

Mike
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

nothin better than a bit of rain to clean the ships! Looks like a fun day!

Cheers Bruce B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
USS California CGN36
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

MikeJames wrote:The only issue with the docks is that if someone goes by and leaves a decent wake behind it which then hits the dock, the ships moored alongside can roll heavily and smack up against the dock, potentially damaging fittings like stanchions, flight deck nets and the like.

Mike
Hence we are supposed to avoid speeding past/thru anchorage areas....I should know I get told off about this all the time.... :twisted: :twisted:

B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

That is why you never see my ships moored to a wharf. As 98% of our sail days are held in a bricked up pond it can get a bit rough and that can cause damage. With the depth of the pond not being to deep Longbeach always has a huge wake. Love the look of a wharf, but need to watch what ships you have tied up to it.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

I myself have built my own dock. For large models carriers, battleships, battle cruisers large merchant ships etc they are great. My Hermes Robs Kirov and Bobs battleships they don't move so much due to wave action. FBP anchorage in the winter becomes a bit cramped as our usable anchorage shrinks so having docks available provides more berthing options and not playing bumper boats in a confined area.

Cheers Glen
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
USS California CGN36
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

yup when you have a restricted area having the floating docks means you can get your ships parked more efficiently....good for practicing docking procedures too!! I use docks at our pond so the bricks don't scratch up the hulls

B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
kimwhite
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Victoria
My Ship Yard: HMS Heather (Flower Corvette 1942, under construction), HMS Glamorgan 1981 (under construction)

Post by kimwhite »

Wouldn't an unobtrusive strake of appropriately-coloured rubber along the edge of the dock protect the ships' sides? Or even painted foam styrene?
I think the docks look great!
Kim
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)

Post by glenhowells »

Correct Kim i have armaflex foam rubber along the sides of my dock it acts as a fender against the dock.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

The other option for large ships in an anchorage is the one specified in the Regatta Rules of the Road.

Fore and aft mooring, that way they don't swing around and smack into one another.

Mike
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)

Post by glenhowells »

Hi Mike We also do the fore and aft buoys for large models over 2.4 mtrs. That works great then the wind changes and every body that have smaller vessels have to move there boats to avoid getting damaged. A dock just provides more berthing options.

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Hi Glen,

I was suggesting fore and aft mooring for everyone, that way no one has to reset their morrings when the wind shifts

Mike