Club Event Discussion
SergeSera
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Currently building HMS Brilliant F90,
Ardent F184 commissioned.

Fleet Base Perth Day & BBQ

Post by SergeSera »

Good Evening All,

The definition of a great sailing weather - blue skies, sunny no wind or rain - well that was Saturday - we sail Sunday.

Sunday I get wet putting Ardent in the car and the wind is also howling :crs: :crs: .
By the time I get to Jackadder lake the rain has stopped, but the wind has not gone away.
I left early today as we are having a brekky BBQ - reason celebrate HMAS Darwin FFG04 launching in 1982 and also because we can.

Rob arrives shortly after with Peter, Andrew and Bob turning up to enjoy the fruits of our labours.

Ships in the water were Ardent - skipper Me, Manchester and a russian Corvette - skipper Andrew, Peter the Great with new 3D printed superstructure still in red - skipper Rob and the tug Imara - skipper Bob.

As I said the wind had stayed so the smaller ships i.e. Darwin and Ardent made like sailing yachts and were mostly on a big angle with one side of the deck on the water the term tacking seems to come to mind the stabilisers on both ships working overtime.
The big ships Peter the Great and Manchester with the tug Imara handling the conditions very well.

At about ten we celebrated with Rum Balls and coffee, not enough Rum Balls (secret ingredient Bundy Rum).

The weather wasn't great so made sailing challenging but the the company was brilliant.

Cheers

Serge

PS Calendar of sailing dates for the next quarter coming out next couple of days.
Attachments
Ardent and Darwin at anchor
Ardent and Darwin at anchor
Manchester entering the anchorage
Manchester entering the anchorage
Pete preparing Darwin
Pete preparing Darwin
Tug Imara
Tug Imara
Manchester at speed - great sailing qualities
Manchester at speed - great sailing qualities
Peter the Great looking majestic and red
Peter the Great looking majestic and red
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: Fleet Base Perth Day & BBQ

Post by rritchie71 »

Ah Serge, you missed the good parts.
PTG superstructure came apart at the lift point, nothing actually broken, it just separated at the joins and is all back together. Lesson learned and rectified.

Andrew’s Kurpin broke down and the rescue tug had to go out, in the course of the rescue Argus hit something and it broke the steering mechanism on one of the azimuth pods, which made her un-steerable and she became disabled aswell.

Then we had to wait until the wind bought them back in (didn’t take long) and Andrew waded out through the weeds and got them both.
All in all an adventurous and frustrating day.

Argus is out for a little while by the way, I will have to manufacture a new part.

Cheers

Robert
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Looks like you Guys had an interesting day regardless of the wind, although the pictures don't appear to show much 'Chop'. Almost makes me wish Graeme and I had come up, but it was really unpleasant Sunday morning when I poked my nose out..........next time. :yes:

Nige
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

Great story of what sounds like a great day in the end, you can't beat a good serve of bacon and eggs in the morning. Great photos I'm very jealous of your lake. Cheers guys. :tup: Scott
Ahoythere
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: FFG04 HMAS Darwin, LCH130 HMAS Wewak, USNS Hiddensee, USS Constellation, HMAS Anzac, USS Scorpion

Post by Ahoythere »

Was even better when the rum balls came out. :yes:

I don't normally get water inside Darwin, this day I did. :tdown:
One day I will finish a ship.