My Ship Yard: HMS Manchester
HMS Charybdis
INS Kirpan
HMAS Hammersley
HNLMS Tromp
USS Long Beach

Fleet Base Perth - Fremantle Maritime Festival

Post by PearlHarbour52 »

Saturday was our annual attendance to the Fremantle Maritime Festival. This is by far our biggest display of the year in Perth as it brings together a host of attendees all with a strong maritime theme. The Royal Australian Navy has a strong attendance, along with the local industries that help and and support the Port of Fremantle, Surf Life Saving Clubs and the Naval Cadets make up for a great day.

Then weather gods were shining on us with day being clear skies, sunshine and 28 degrees, compared to the last few months a longer than expected and cooler spring and we planned this year to put on a larger display than last year as we had the boats to do so. We displayed 3 'flat tops', which consisted of Pete Pawlette's massive and magnificent USS Constellation, Glen Howells magnificent HMS Hermes with its growing air complement and Andrew Kemp's LST, the JMSDF Osumi. Supporting this was Bob Gilberts ever outstanding and impressive model of the USS Missouri, this model drew a lot of the crowd with its rotating guns, gunfire sound effects and ongoing renditions of 'Anchors Aweigh'.

Supporting these models were equally impressive HMAS Toowoomba (Nigel Rockey), HNLMS Tromp (Andrew Kemp), HMAS Darwin (Pete Pawlette), USS Scorpion (Pete Pawlette), USS Indianapolis (Andrew Kemp), HMAS Hammesrsley (Andrew Kemp), USS Hiddansee (Pete Pawlette). Some of these models were alos under construction which allowed members oif the public to see the individual building staged and understand more about building model boats.

Next year we plan to have an even more impressive display as some boats will be fully completed and air wings and air complements will be embarked, adding greater detail to the Carriers.
Attachments
Andrew's HNLMS Tromp
Andrew's HNLMS Tromp
Nigel's HMAS Toowoomba
Nigel's HMAS Toowoomba
Rear view of Osumi showing well deck
Rear view of Osumi showing well deck
Glenn's HMS Hermes with embarked air detachment
Glenn's HMS Hermes with embarked air detachment
Pete's USS Scorpion
Pete's USS Scorpion
JMSDF Osumi with embarked LCAC
JMSDF Osumi with embarked LCAC
Andrew's JMSDF Osumi
Andrew's JMSDF Osumi
Bob's USS Missouri
Bob's USS Missouri
Pete's USS Hiddansee
Pete's USS Hiddansee
Pete's HMAS Darwin
Pete's HMAS Darwin
Andrew's USS Indianapolis
Andrew's USS Indianapolis
Glen's HMS Hermes
Glen's HMS Hermes
Freo1.jpg
Full Display outlay
Full Display outlay
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Re: Fleet Base Perth - Fremantle Maritime Festival

Post by littoralcombat »

Nice report Andrew, I think we can certainly class the whole day as very successful.
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

Looks good guys, it appears to have been a hot day, displaying out on the concrete and asphalt in the sun.

Did you get a good roll up by the public. Also, did you get anyone willing to come out to a sail day, with an eye to joining?

Mike
Last edited by MikeJames on 30 Oct 2018 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

We had a good spot Mike, pretty much at one of the main access points to the event. We passed out several of the Club Flyers, and provided info regarding our Sail-Day calender. Hopefully it will turn into an increase in Membership.....we will see.
Our display was bathed in Sunshine early in the Morning, but as the day wore on we benefited from the overhead cover. Once the Fremantle 'Doctor' blew in, the long-sleeve tops came out.
We did receive an invite from our RAN Public Relations contact, to put at display on at HMAS Stirling in January for their Families Day, which should be a great opportunity to promote the Club and hobby.
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Excellent news. I plugged it on Facebook and we've had a few nibbles from visitors asking about activities out west. I send them the contact details for the FBP contact.

Cheers

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Thanks Mike. I'm not much of a Facebooker myself, but understand it has huge potential as a billboard.
Nige
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Was a great day. I spoke to a few people that said they had seen the facebook page thanks again Mike.
Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

That's what it's there for, publicising the Association and getting people along to our events in the hope of tempting them to get involved.

Every bit helps.

Mike