NUSHIP ZUMWALT

RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

NUSHIP ZUMWALT

Post by RussF172 »

The NUSHIP ZUMWALT DDG-1000 put to sea for the first time this morning from Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine. She is conducting a number of sea trials over the coming weeks before returning to Bath for checks etc. Then next year she will go to sea over a number of months for a series of trials of her new weapns and sensor suite which is a very comprehensive array of radars and passive sensors all fitted into her superstructure. They will also test fire her missile system and her two 155mm guns. Not the most attractive of ships and very expensive, so much so that the class will now be capped at 4 hulls all of which are in various stages of construction at BIW.
Attachments
12316546_993941670667712_1075354893356779464_n.jpg
12309760_993966170665262_1708256530522010427_o.jpg
12309741_993966173998595_7822641258269656805_o.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: NUSHIP ZUMWALT

Post by MikeJames »

I have to say, this thing is about as graceful and attractive as a hat full of arseholes.

USN presses on with Zumwalt-class destroyers

Grace Jean, Washington, DC - IHS Jane's Navy International
18 January 2016

Zumwalt (DDG 1000), the lead ship of the US Navy's Zumwalt-class destroyer programme, was underway for the first time conducting at-sea tests and trials in the Atlantic Ocean on 7 December 2015. Source: BIW

Key Points
Zumwalt (DDG 1000) is expected to return to sea in February for builder's trials
Delivery of the lead ship is planned for April 2016
After completing its first at-sea underway period, the lead ship of the US Navy's (USN's) Zumwalt-class (DDG 1000) destroyer is preparing for builder's trials in February.

Assuming the second set of sea trials go well, Zumwalt (DDG 1000), which completed alpha sea trials in early December 2015, will proceed to acceptance trials in the March timeframe with a planned delivery in April, DDG 1000 programme manager Rear Admiral (select) James Downey said at the Surface Navy Association's annual symposium on 14 January.

During its seven-day alpha trials, Zumwalt performed well and demonstrated better than expected stability, officials said. The 186 m (610 ft) ship ran up to full power (up to 33 kt) and was able to stop completely in 90 seconds. As part of the trials, it also accomplished full rudder swings, demonstrating less than 8 degrees of list.

"The faster it goes, the faster it responds," Rear Adm Downey said, adding that the propulsion plant was exercised in more than a dozen configurations and exceeded requirements. Zumwalt encountered 8 to 10 ft seas in the Gulf of Maine, but otherwise did not see significant bad weather. Its razor-sharp bow was able to pierce though the water, officials noted. The team also gathered good data on the hull's radar cross-section, which is performing well.

Second-in-class Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001) is 84% complete at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine, and is expected to be ready for launch by the end of June. Meanwhile, the third and final Zumwalt destroyer Lyndon B Johnson (DDG 1002) is 43% complete, with 90 of 97 of its units under construction. Production of its deckhouse - which reverted back to an all-steel design from the original composite found on the first two ships - is also underway, Rear Adm Downey said.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

It is not the most attractive of vessels. Love the ships CO's name though. ZUMWALT is commanded by Captain James Kirk, USN. You never know he might be in line to be the Battle Group Commander when the new USS ENTERPRISE comes on line in about 8 years time when he is Admiral James Kirk onboard USS ENTERPRISE.
cootafleet
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Brisbane
My Ship Yard: lcm3,flower class corvette,pt109,freelance fire support ship LONGTAN.

Post by cootafleet »

Cheap for fittings if anyone builds a model
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

I thought that too about La Fayette, another stealth-optimised vessel, until I had a close look at her.

A lot more than you might think, so probably the same with Zumwalt.

Mike
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Post by SlatsSSN »

where are the bow planes?
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

USS Zumwalt commissioned on the 15 Oct. Whilst transiting the Panama canal to her home port of San Diego suffered anengineering break down. She had to be towed through the Miraflores locks at the Pacific side. She suffered slight damaged to the hull. They towed her to the former US naval base in Panama City. Zumwalt will not sail till the engineering issues are resolved and tests carried out before she can make safe passage to San Diego.

Glen