Russian submarine activity topping Cold War levels

rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Russian submarine activity topping Cold War levels

Post by rritchie71 »

Russia is investing heavily in it's navy again, whilst a new carrier (Kuznetsov is knackered) and new destroyers are a long way off as the surface fleet and aviation arm was left really short during the post cold war period, not even achieving standard maintenance requirements and good ships left to rot. They didn't abandon submarine development.

Extract from Jane's Defence Weekly
Nicholas de Larrinaga, 02 February 2016

Russian submarine activity in the North Atlantic is again at Cold War levels, according to NATO's top military commander

Key Points
•NATO is seeing Russian submarine activity in the North Atlantic return to Cold War levels
•Russian submarines have also made a major jump in technical capability, according to NATO's top naval commander

Russian submarine activity in the North Atlantic is currently equaling or even surpassing Cold War levels, according to NATO's top naval officer.

The North Atlantic was again and area "of concern" for the alliance, Vice Admiral Clive Johnstone, Commander of NATO's Maritime Command, said, with the commanders of his submarine cells currently reporting "more activity from Russian submarines than we've seen since the days of the Cold War".

Not only are Russian submarines returning to Cold War levels of operational activity, but Russian submarines have made a major jump in technological performance, Vice Adm Johnstone said, with NATO seeing "a level of Russian capability that we haven't seen before".

Russia, he said, "through an extraordinary investment path not mirrored by the West" has made "technology leaps that [are] remarkable, and credit to them." Russian submarines now "have longer ranges, they have better systems, they're freer to operate", he said. The alliance has also "seen a rise in professionalism and ability to operate their boats that we haven't seen before", noted Vice Adm Johnstone, adding, "that is a concern".
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: Russian submarine activity topping Cold War levels

Post by MikeJames »

Putin pushing a more muscular foreign policy, bed-rocked by stirring up nationalistic / patriotic ferver amongst the populace to divert them from the fact that under his direction Russia is more isolated and friendless now than at any time since the Cold War and that the Russian economy is tanking thanks to horrible demographics, over reliance on selling oil and gas in a time of over supply and sanctions due to MH17, the invasion of the Crimea and Ukraine.

Putin's rule will be seen as not one of Russia's best periods.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Well put Mike, but I still see Russia as a 'Paper Tiger', in the same mould as China. Their previous lack of 'self belief' in their own designs (e.g multiple different classes of SSN) will, I believe resurface. Increased usage, I suspect will tragically result in an increased occurence of accidents.
The comments from Senior Military officials is standard practice in order to secure increased (or sustained) funding for Military hardware. If the 'Balloon' actiually went up in the future, I think this thought would be justified....although small comfort.

Nige
Steventico
Web Member
Web Member
Fleet Base: None
My Ship Yard: ALL 72 SCALE HMS ARK ROYAL [INVINCIBLE CLASS] USS PORT ROYAL USS MCLUSKY HMS EDINBURGH HMS NOTTINGHAM HMS SUTHERLAND HMS BATTLEAXE HMCS TORONTO HMCS ARTHBAKAN HMCS HALIFAX [FELEX UPGRADED] HMAS ANZAC F150
NEW AWD HMAS BRISBANE UNDER CONSTRUCTION BREMEN CLASS FRIGATE HMS CUMBERLAND HMS BLACK ROVER

Post by Steventico »

Hi Guys

Ye our local news also reports when Russian ships/planes either enter our airspace our waters ,last year their peter the great class was of coast of Scotland and all we sent was HMS SEVERN to shadow it as we had no 23/45 available

Again last year a sub was detected and we had to ask the DUTCH and the CANADIAN for a maritime aircraft for help with the search
and that back of their long range bomber flying down the north sea and English channel screwing up air travel

Cameron and the tories don,t have clue about defence they prefer to give the Russian a right got ticking of [being back at school ]

stevie
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

That situation should change as the RAF has just ordered nine P-8A Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft from the US. They are similar to the ones already in service with the USN and Indian Navy. Our RAAF will get the first of our 12 next year which are replacing the old AP-3C Orions. The RAF should start to get their aircraft in 2018.