My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Russian Navy commissions Project 22350 frigate Admiral Gorshkov

Post by MikeJames »

Russian Navy commissions Project 22350 frigate Admiral Gorshkov

Frigate Admiral Gorshkov during the Naval Day parade in Kronshtadt. Source: Nikolai Novichkov

On 28 July the Russian Navy (VMF) commissioned the Project 22350 frigate Admiral Gorshkov , the day before its debut during the Naval Day parade. The ship is the first in class of new blue water frigates for the VMF, according to Vice Admiral Viktor Bursuk, deputy chief of naval armaments. “We will operate four Gorshkov-class surface combatants,” he said.

The Admiral Gorshkov has a full displacement of 5,400 tonnes, a length of 135 m, a beam of 16 m, and a draft of 4.5 m. Its armament suite comprises 16 3M55 Oniks anti-ship missiles (ASMs) or 3M54/3M14 Kalibr ASMs/land attack missiles, a 9K96 Poliment-Redut naval air defence system, an RPK-9 anti-submarine rocket launcher, two 3M89 Palash close-in weapon systems, and an A-192 130 mm naval gun. The frigate also carries a Ka-27PL anti-submarine helicopter. The Admiral Gorshkov is powered by a combined diesel and gas turbine engine, producing a maximum speed of 30 kt. The ship has a range of 4,500 n miles and an endurance of 30 days. It has a crew of 180-210.

A military source told Jane's the Admiral Gorshkov has already been assigned to the Northern Fleet’s 43rd Missile Ship Division.

Jane's has also learned that sea trials of the second Project 22350 frigate, Admiral Kasatonov , are scheduled for late 2018.

The source also reported that the Severnoye Design Bureau (SPKB) started design work on the upgraded Project 22350M frigate in 2018. “The navy is planning to build a larger series of modernised [Project 22350] ships and to receive the first upgraded frigate in 2026,” the source said.

ENDS

This is what the Russian Navy has come to.

Russia can't afford to build anything larger than somewhat modest frigates. Given the entire Russian economy is about the same size as Australia's these days, the fact they can build much of anything, including the occaisional nuclear powered sub, tanks and APCs and new fighter prototypes is basically due to the fact that their healthcare and social security system is frankly close to non-existent.

That name was once carried by the largest and most powerful ship in the globe-spanning Soviet Nvy, now it's a small ASW frigate.

Mike
CarlLinkenbagh
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Canberra
My Ship Yard: FRUNZE - Russian Kirov class CGN (completing in 2018)
BEZZAVETNYY - Russian Krivak I class FF (commencing 2019)
TASHKENT - Russian Kara class CG (commencing 2019)

Re: Russian Navy commissions Project 22350 frigate Admiral Gorshkov

Post by CarlLinkenbagh »

True - but at least they haven't lost their knack for building pretty ships. So far as the latest generation of ships go, I reckon she's one of the better looking ones. I still prefer the Cold War era though!

Talking about things happening in Russia - and this has nothing to do with ships - but check out a documentary on Netflix called 'Icarus'. It won an Academy Award and is all about state sponsored doping in sport. It's a really compelling insight and shows that old habits really do die hard.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

No mention if they fixed "Poliment" in the statement (Russia's version of Aegis), just that it is onboard. Gorshkov's commissioning was originally delayed because it didn't work, so I wonder if they have fixed it in the last 2 years, or decided not to wait any longer and bring her into service anyway.

Without it, she is severely limited in her Anti air role.

Cheers

Robert
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

Latest info is that it hasn't been fixed, but that she was commissioned to maintain fleet numbers while they try and get it to work.

Mike