Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: HMAS Jervis Bay
HMAS Sydney
FNS Tornio
IJNS Takao

Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier

Post by fastone045 »

Hi All,

I was reading the latest Model Boats magazine over the weekend and in one article Dave Wooley was talking about the new
Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier.
QE_amp_POW_large.jpg
I was very surprised to read that this new 70000 ton carrier will not carry a full load of 40 F35B fighters - but just 12.
1405612708777_wps_23_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by.jpg
Very big ship for just 12 aircraft, and the Royal Navy is getting two of them.

Craig
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier

Post by RussF172 »

Bad state of affairs for the RN. And they will be sailing around for about 3-5 years before the aircraft are embarked due to the lateness of the F-35B program.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

Hi Craig, I’ve read similar, including only one carrier will be operational at a time, the other in reserve, i.e. when the second is finished, they will test it and make sure everything works, then lay it up for a while.

In regards to the planes, well they started with the VSTOL version, and then changed to the U.S. carrier version, but because of costs to change the carriers to a catapult setup was so expensive, they reverted back to the original VSTOL skijump config and will not have any arresting gear, thus their air wings will be limited to Merlins, Osprey's, Chinooks and VSTOL F-35’s.

That means they will cross deck with the U.S Marines, Italian or Spanish Navies, as they will have the same short range support airwings of a Wasp, Cavour or Juan Carlos, Whilst the U.S. Navy and French Navy operate long range attack airwings that also have hawkeyes, long range refuelling aircraft and electronic jammers such as the F-18E.

So yes, they are very big ships for the roles they will perform (more than twice the tonnage of Cavour and bigger than Charles De Gaulle).

Cheers

Robert
Steventico
Web Member
Web Member
Fleet Base: None
My Ship Yard: ALL 72 SCALE HMS ARK ROYAL [INVINCIBLE CLASS] USS PORT ROYAL USS MCLUSKY HMS EDINBURGH HMS NOTTINGHAM HMS SUTHERLAND HMS BATTLEAXE HMCS TORONTO HMCS ARTHBAKAN HMCS HALIFAX [FELEX UPGRADED] HMAS ANZAC F150
NEW AWD HMAS BRISBANE UNDER CONSTRUCTION BREMEN CLASS FRIGATE HMS CUMBERLAND HMS BLACK ROVER

Post by Steventico »

Ye Boys

With the RAF in charges of F35 planes once again the royal navy are at the mercy of the whims of the RAF idiots
it was these idiots who scrapped the Harriers and sold them at discount piece to US MARINES that as result the newly refitted ARK ROYAL was decommissioned years to early
its about time we had a real shake up of our defence forces and stop the RAF back stabbing the other two forces as they would prefer to keep their 40/50 year old tornadoes flying

stevie
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

HMS Queen Elizabeth leaves her Birthplace, Rosyth Dockyard, to commence Seatrials today. She is leaving the Basin at high-tide, but then must wait in the river for low tide in order to get under the three Bridges across the Forth. Even then, her pole-mast must be lowered to allow her to do so.
She will embark on 5 weeks of trials, followed by her first entry to her new homeport of Portsmouth where she will stay for a week. This will be followed by another 5 weeks of trials. :clap:

Nige
Attachments
DDPv6qQXUAER-eN.jpg
DDQKzYLXkAAoHVt.jpg
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Post by RussF172 »

I was watching it on the news this morning on line. She took nearly 3 hours to get out of the basin as she only had 14 inches on either side of the lock to get out so was taken very slowly and it had to be at high tide as even then she only had 18 inches under her keel. She was passing under the bridges at midnight which was at the lowest tide. If you stood on the highest part of the mast (that hadn't been lowered to fit) you could apparently touch the bottom of the railway bridge. Wonder if they had to curtail her size a little to make sure she could get out. I'd say it must have been a factor in her design.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Post by RussF172 »

Looks like she hasn't had her CIWS's fitted as yet either. I gather that will come after trials and will be done in Portsmouth during her PSA.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

RussF172 wrote:I was watching it on the news this morning on line. She took nearly 3 hours to get out of the basin as she only had 14 inches on either side of the lock to get out so was taken very slowly and it had to be at high tide as even then she only had 18 inches under her keel. She was passing under the bridges at midnight which was at the lowest tide. If you stood on the highest part of the mast (that hadn't been lowered to fit) you could apparently touch the bottom of the railway bridge. Wonder if they had to curtail her size a little to make sure she could get out. I'd say it must have been a factor in her design.
Interesting thought Russ, it wouldn't be the first time a ships design was limited by another factor. The Iowa class battleships beam was limited by the Navy's requirement that they be able to use the Panama canal, only a foot either side basically.

I wonder how long until someone in TF 72 builds her....:)
Attachments
Iowa.jpg
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Once in the Firth of Forth, anchored up, wait for low tide, then off she goes.
Russians awaiting her appearance, both above and below the waves no doubt, wondering if she is running on impulse drive using Dylithium Crystals.........."where ist da smoke Comrade", excuse my Russian :D

Nige
Attachments
nintchdbpict000334604479.jpg
nintchdbpict000334642542-e1498520032370.jpg
rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

Nice photos Nigel, keep them coming. When you think about it, QE was designed for a 50 year life span. That means there is a very good chance she will outlive me :wlr: .....

A couple of video's

Robert
kimwhite
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Victoria
My Ship Yard: HMS Heather (Flower Corvette 1942, under construction), HMS Glamorgan 1981 (under construction)

Post by kimwhite »

Magnificent ships! The RN can build them pretty. Yes, anyone in TF72 getting ready to build one? :)
Cheers, Kim
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Awesome video Robert, the aerial view with a few 'Bods' on the Flight-Deck helps show what a huge bit of kit she is.
I personally didn't originally like the two island design cosmetically, but it is growing on me.
Somebody will surely pick up the Gauntlet and build one.

Nige
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member
My Ship Yard: HMS Cleopatra F28, HMS TARTAR F28

Post by MichaelB »

Wide isn't it?
Attachments
QE FROM SUTHERLAND.jpg
rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

Certainly is.

She was designed a while ago and in the last few years they discovered the majority of flight decks were not strong enough, or capable of taking the heat to support the F35's. Every ship except the USS Tripoli (still under construction) has had to go/or is going into the yard to be modified over time. Does QE have to go back and have the same work done later, or did they have time to add in the extra requirements in initial construction?

Robert
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

She is about the same width as a Nimitz Michael, so yes, a big Bugger.
I am not sure about the Flight-deck Robert, but I would say the decision to go STOVL over CTOL was taken early enough to have all bases covered.
Incidentally, a Chap from the UK (who was from BAE Roysth working on her) who worked for me for a while here, said that provision was made for, and retained for Waist and Bow Catapults in the form of the troughs below Flight-Deck level, should the decision be reversed. There are also heaps of redundant compartments, bare, awaiting any future upgrades.
I saw something similar aboard the Ocean-Survey vessel HMS Scott when she was new, heaps of empty compartments, nicely painted, a few pipes and cable -runs passing through at Deck-Head height, and was told the same, plenty of room for growth.

Nige
Attachments
nintchdbpict000334605665.jpg
DDWHnDzW0AEA44z.jpg
CVFnimitzDeckComparo.gif
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

More pictures.

Nige
Attachments
nintchdbpict0003350750681.jpg
DDaZg6wWsAE9fGe.jpg
DDa2ctmWAAIweQ_.jpg
DDa2Xf0XoAEAYiT.jpg
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Can't wait for the next phase in the introduction of these magnificent ships.

Nige
Attachments
z4Mx3ej.jpg
xnd7FJB.jpg
4O9aYOf.jpg
g2c8ruM.jpg
rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

Hopefully they see the light and add in the catapults or arresting gear at least and switch to the F35C. Then the air-wing will actually match the ship and QE will be inter-operable with US carriers and CDG.

If they stick with the B version, which is the heaviest of all 3 variants, it has less range and less weapons, and that counts for a lot when it comes down to the reason behind having the ship in the first place. The B was pitched at the Cavour, Juan Carlos and Wasp class, ships that are between 30 and 50 percent less tonnage.

Cheers

Robert
Attachments
F-35_A_B_C_Config.png
rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

I remember seeing a doco on the USS Ronald Reagan, and the point would apply here given the expected 50 year life span of the ship.

The last capt of QE has probably not even been born yet.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

That is certainly a sobering thought Robert. That Captain will be born, grow-up, probably join the RN in 17,18,19 years time or so.
Gulp, I suddenly feel a little, shall we say Mature (my Wife would contest that notion :D ) :wlr: .
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

USS Enterprise CVN-65 had a 51 year life span.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

A couple more Pics. The one with the Merlin on deck truly shows the width of the Flight-Deck, and they are BIG Helicopters.
All Ships boats are stowed in, and launched from bays within the Sponsons.

Nige
Attachments
DECJEoaXYAAloGM.jpg
DD-gRtcXYAA816o.jpg
DEKAT2lXcAAYzs9.jpg
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Nice shot of the transom with the patrol boat berthed side to on her transom. This shows the size of her also
Cheers Glen
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Post by RussF172 »

That bow shot is great as you can see the base plates for the Phalanx's to be fitted on either side. They will probably go on in Portsmouth after her trials. This would be a great project if you could get plans.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

You won't see this everyday. The Queen Elizabeth sails around the Queen Elizabeth in a 180 degree turn...... :D

rritchie71
Committee
Committee

Post by rritchie71 »

Another video at the request of Nigel

glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Royal navy red faced.
I seen this article in the news paper. An amateur drone pilot landed his $500 dollar drone on the New QE carrier unchallenged. He was just wanting to get some footage when berthed in Scotland. With patrol craft in the water and security forces dockside as well as on board crew members. Not one person noticed that a drone was flying around as the pilot did not see any activity of security forces swinging in to action to combat the drone to find the operator. The pilot then had an alarm from his transmitter of a technical fault indicating for him to land the drone ASAP well the flight deck was not far off so he landed it on deck not intending to stay long possible to sort out problem then lift off again. It was only then that it was noticed that no aircraft of any form were authorized to be on deck. A full investigation in to the security breach has been launched. I don't know how true or accurate the info is just what i read.
Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

Given all the bad press that's followed HMS QE like a bad smell, here's some good stuff.

Queen Elizabeth rendezvoused with USS George H W Bush several days ago, leading to these shots.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

HMS Queen Elizabeth arrives at Portsmouth Naval Base....she's home :tup:
Attachments
DHVtmvmW0AAUBxS.jpg
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Prime Realestate.
Attachments
DHcaznOW0AAAJW2.jpg