Endeavour Replica
James Craig
James Craig
James Craig Stern
James Craig Stern
James Craig Rigging
James Craig Rigging
:boats: :beta:
"Military Tactics are like unto water....just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions".... Sun Tzu
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Re: Happenings in Sydney Harbour

Post by SlatsSSN »

Nice photos Craig.

By the way does anyone know what is happening to the Cruise terminal in Darling Harbour? Wharf 8 terminal is now demolished. Just saw Pauline's parents off Friday last week on Dawn Princess - boarding was at Wharf 5 via what can only be described as a Circus tent. I heard that they were going to establish a new Darling Harbour Terminal but does anyone know where?

John
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

The proposed new cruise ship terminal is over in Balmain, however that decision may only last until March 28 as neither the locals in Balmain nor the cruise ships want it to be there.

The industry is happy with Circular Quay with the Darling Harbour wharf considered a good alternative / overflow, however the Grandiose Barangaroo plans would see the Darling Harbour wharf lost.

Don't know what Barry's plans are post March but I could ask I suppose.

Mike
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Post by SlatsSSN »

The problem is however whilst Darling Harbour wharf 8 was considered when built to be the overflow / alternative to Circular Quay - in the last 5 years there have been 3 times more cruise ships using Darling harbour.
Wharf 8 than the Quay. In an environment where there are 3 cruise companies permanently basing ships in Sydney (P&O Australia, Princess, and Royal Carribean (although the first two are for the full year), and with the cruise season now accommodating 20+ different cruise lines on Australian sectors, the Quay simply can't cope. Wharf 8 was also cheaper to berth than the Quay. Royal Carribean's ships (including their permanent resident for 6 months of the year Rhapsody, don't fit under the bridge) so RC is largely the chief occupier of the Quay and fits its schedule with every other big beastie of the same height save QM2 thats punted to GI. RC is from next year adding a second ship to its 6 month permanent Sydney presence - which also can't get under the bridge.

I can see that the bigger problem will be these bigger ships is their height -not being able to access DH at all due to the coat hanger above, which would mean maybe they will build a new terminal east of the bridge. On space that I can see vacant more often than not is the eastern side of GI. So maybe the Govt's happy with the tent arrangement as it would seem DH's days of cruise ships might be numbered. As an aside Dawn and Sun princess are the two largest ships to get under the bridge - clearance at low tide is 2m.

J
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.