Royal Navy FORD Class Seaward Defence Boats

General Discussion and Questions regarding TF72 and Ship Modelling
JacktheGunner
Fleet Base: Non Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMS's Coventry (T42 Batch 1), Manchester (T42 BIII), Droxford (Seaward Defence Boat - under Construction), Beaver (T22 BII), Beachampton Hong Kong Patrol Ton Class).

Royal Navy FORD Class Seaward Defence Boats

Post by JacktheGunner »

Greetings all from sunny UK - I am after any info or drawings affecting the RN FORD Class Seaward Defence Boats - I was the Buffer on Droxford and wondered if anyone had plans or anything of the such, as I have lots of Photos.

Thanks in anticipation ;)

Jack the Gunner in Portsmouth (am on leave from Saudi).
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: HMS Cleopatra F28, HMS TARTAR F28

Re: Royal Navy FORD Class Seaward Defence Boats

Post by MichaelB »

Jack,

John Lambert does or did plans for these.

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/ ... neous.html

PS Like your models shown on another forum!

Michael
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MichaelB »

I have a drawing you will see but it does give an idea but it isn't that good. On the other hand, if 1/72, the model won't be that big!

First I have to work out how to attach a photo!
Attachments
Tilford_plans.jpg
peterjones
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: 2 Liverpool Tugs, 1950's motor coaster, freelance Naval stores Carrier.
HMAS Wilcannia. Cape York - lighthouse tender.Union S.S.Co m.v. Matua
- Passenger/Cargo 1935.

Post by peterjones »

There was an article published in the March 2003 edition of Marine Modeling about the Ford Class which included a thumbnail of a plan in 3 sheets which looked quite detailed. Available from Traplet Publications Plans Service. a hot line phone number was given as 01684 595399.

I dont know if Traplet are still operating ( this was 2003 )

I made a semi scale model based on the magazine plan, plus some photos and my immagination. It was 1/72 and looked quite good in the water
although not fast enough with the running gear I had available.

I will be over in the U K for a holiday starting 2 July so if you would like to email me your phone number and name and address we may be able to
make contact say in the first week of August when I will be in Tiverton.

My email is peterjones@westnet.com.au I have been with Task Force for a number of years.
JacktheGunner
My Ship Yard: HMS's Coventry (T42 Batch 1), Manchester (T42 BIII), Droxford (Seaward Defence Boat - under Construction), Beaver (T22 BII), Beachampton Hong Kong Patrol Ton Class).

Post by JacktheGunner »

Dear Peter & MichealB, Thank you both for the assist. I have some pictures that I took when onboard Droxford, but am limited to no pictures of the Bridge area especially looking up from between the funnels to see how the back of the Bridge was made-up. Peter, thanks for the offer but will be back in Saudi when your over here - pity that - I will try and attach a picy of the stste of play so far - the hull is complete with running gear and I've used the Grey Goose hull, as this is nearly the same profile, excepting cutting out the stern and making it square and it's the biz.

I managed to get a copy from Yarrow Shipbuilders in 1/24th for the Yarrows buils 2 x SDB's for Ghana the Elmina & Komenda and this fits the Grey goose exactly, as I said a few tweeks and she's nearly there just a bummer not having phots of the back side of the bridge to see how that was exactly made up - that's all thats stopping a good bridge profile and I dont like trying to BOTCH-UP to make it look reasonable.

Thanks to you both much Apprech

Jack the Gunner.

Photos will be put into my folder.
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MichaelB »

Jack,

The plans Peter was talking about are on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Michael
JacktheGunner

Post by JacktheGunner »

Michael
Many thanks for that e-bay item, but I have a full set of Yarrows drawings, and I'm particularly looking at detail at the back of the Bridge area.

Thanks

Jack the Gunner. :D
MichaelB
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MichaelB »

Jack,

Crappy shots of a South African Ford I'm afraid but this is as best quality and size as I can scan them. They might help & one is of the vridge itself. Vosper did some Fords too.

Michael
Attachments
Vosper Ford Class profile.pdf
(108.6 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
SMAS Haarlem 02.jpg
SMAS Haarlem 03.jpg
SMAS Haarlem 04.jpg