Hi Guys New guy here

General Discussion and Questions regarding TF72 and Ship Modelling
Proflooney
Fleet Base: Non Club Member

Hi Guys New guy here

Post by Proflooney »

Hi guys im new here and from the US. one of your ex members pointed me to you guys saying you were good group and had lot of useful info i could learn. I am brand new to ship modelling and wanting to learn the ins and outs and find me a nice set of plans that would fit my style.

I design and build 1/3 and 1/2 scale WWI aircraft and been into r/c planes for 35+ yrs now.

I am wanting to get into ships now as my eyes arent as good as they used to be and it would give me something to do with my grandson as we could build something together then go sail it at the local park.

I got a program called Delftship to help me draw up some hulls but im totally lost as to what the drawings are right now so I am studying them.

I have a ton of plane plans over 180 gigs I have collected over the years and 3oo gigs of ref books covering mostly planes but have abt 4 gigs of ships stuff right now so dont be afraid to ask for something i may have it.

right now I could use some help on what type ship to do. I like Dreadnaughts and Battleships but also like old WWII destroyers. I am an ex navy man myself and was stationed on a destroyer and even been to Austrailia in the mid 70's when I was in the navy still. we made a 3 week stay in Geraldton or whatever its called and also got to visit Sidney and Pearth

well thats a little bit about me and what im trying to figure out now. if anyone would have a set of planes they would be willing to share to get me started or point me in a direction where to get them from I would appreciate it as I have no idea where to find model ship stuff at yet.

Joe
kerryjames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Wagga Wagga
My Ship Yard: hmas melbourne ijn shinarno hmnzs warkato hmas wagga uss lexington

Re: Hi Guys New guy here

Post by kerryjames »

G,day Joe,you could try floating drydock for your ship plans. They have wide varied range in the early to late battleships and destroyers. I have used his plans before. :) :)
webadmin
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Non Club Member

Post by webadmin »

Hi Joe, good to see you are getting into Ships. Will be good to see the results I know how intricate the WW1 aircraft can be.

Usually when people get into ships a simple one is good to start with. If you are going to build a naval vessel. My suggestion would be a WW2 Destroyer. They usually have a flush decks and simple superstructures. I suggest a destroyer as you mentioned an interest in them, but a smaller vessel can also be good.

As Kerry mentioned the Floating Drydock has plenty of warship plans to start you off. You will find it easier to make your own plans if you want later after you get an understanding of the construction process.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems

Cheers

Craig
:)
"Military Tactics are like unto water....just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions".... Sun Tzu
kimwhite
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Victoria
My Ship Yard: HMS Heather (Flower Corvette 1942, under construction), HMS Glamorgan 1981 (under construction)

Post by kimwhite »

G'Day Joe,
welcome to TF72. You will get as many suggestions for ships as we have members, but yes, keep the first one simple. Of course I have ignored my own advice and my first model is a reasonably ambitious 1960's DDG, HMS Glamorgan. Google it.

But, if you really have not got something in mind why not try a fictional USN ship that everyone knows - USN Caine, as in The Caine Mutiny. It was a flush-decker so is easier to build, because it is a fictional ship you can free-lance it and won't have any know-it-all telling you "Oh nice, BUT they never put machine guns over the laundry shack", and, because it IS the Caine, you can make it look really filthy and have some fun doing so. You could also make a little figure of Bogart for the bridge.

But, mate, do what your heart says, it is usually never wrong!!
Don't be a stranger, keep posting to us and send some photos when you start building.
Kim
Fleetbase Victoria