ARA San Juan

littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

ARA San Juan

Post by littoralcombat »

I am sure we have all been avoiding the subject, but there is now no chance that anybody will be rescued alive from the Argentinian
Navy Submarine ARA San Juan. I invite you all to join me in paying respect to fellow human beings who have chosen a noble profession that has ultimately cost them their lives. RIP ARA San Juan.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: ARA San Juan

Post by MikeJames »

Yes, the Argentinean Navy and Government have called off the search for survivors. Even if the sub bottomed out without imploding, her oxygen reserves would have now been exhausted.

It appears from reports that something went tragically wrong on the San Juan with a flooding incident followed by what is believed to have been a hull implosion.

Being a submariner is a dangerous profession.

RIP San Juan.

Mike
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Yes not good news for the families and Argentina. If she did implode it would have been quick. But if she bottomed out to no your fate is near must have been very hard to stomach. RIP the sea in now your grave.

Glen
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

The remains of ARA San Juan appear to have been found by US company, Ocean Infinity. Using their vessel, Seabed Constructor employing Sonar and ROV's, they located the Submarine in around 900 metres of water.
Apart from some kind of closure for the Families of the lost Crew, it is hard to see what else this will achieve. If, as suspected, there was an explosion/implosion leading to catastrophic hull failure, then the damage to internal equipment would of been major, making any analysis of root cause difficult at best. Add the problems of working at such a depth and the costs involved, then the Argentines have their work cut out.
Nige