USS Gato

scott154
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

USS Gato

Post by scott154 »

HI Guys,
I just brought a Revell Gato kit on the weekend to join Fleet Base Gulf Waters as a surface runner only is their any one out there that could help with the running gear configuration. As I found one on the net with twin 540's but way to fast!!!!!!
Regards Scott
Attachments
850384.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: USS Gato

Post by MikeJames »

Hi Scott, perhaps one of the sub guys may be able to help.

As a surface runner without too much freeboard you wouldn't want it going too fast. Something small would seem to be the go, but I don't know how much room you have in the sub.

You could send a PM to Mark Buttsworth, who is working on a similar sized sub, USS Irex. His user name is markbsyd.

Otherwise any of the sub operators may be able to help.

Mike
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

Thanks Mike,
I will ask Mark, he has been very helpful with some items on the Adelaide Class that's sitting in my shed. I have been told you can never have to many models on the go. cheers Scott
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

How about setting it up as a dynamic diving model. that is enough ballast to be positively bouyant and U use the bow planes and thrust of props 2 make it dive. When U throttle back or stop it automatically pops back up( at least that's the theory!!)
Bruce :nuke: :nuke:

(Hmmm Must set up ASROC launcher on LB)
scott154
Club Member
Club Member

Post by scott154 »

Pretty cool theory Bruce, But that means it needs to be fully water tight around the running gear and if I was to go as far as that you might as well go the whole hog. No its just going to be a surface runner. :D
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Post by SlatsSSN »

scott154 wrote:Pretty cool theory Bruce, But that means it needs to be fully water tight around the running gear and if I was to go as far as that you might as well go the whole hog. No its just going to be a surface runner. :D
Hi Scott
I would seriously forget the surface runner stuff and model boat approach. The bottom of lakes globally have enough of these type of subs in them. Seriously you might as well tie a wallet full of fiftys to a slip knot string - throw it in the lake, and haul it back in, hopeful that its still there. It really is folly, and sadly what all model boaters first think of - including myself some 20 years ago. Its a good theory of a cheap fun boat, but its simply amazing where the water will come in from. You might sail it successfully for awhile and then when you least expected it the combination of low freeboard, wind, and a minor leak and it all goes wrong. By the time you notice the boat in trouble, usually the story of these surface running deaths are at a point where the electrics are clagged by the ingress of water and render you in a position of not being able to head to shore.

The only effective and reliable mechanism to house the electronics and provide access is via a dedicated water tight cylinder (even for a surface runner). As you have alluded to -if you are going to that effort you may as well make it dive -be it dynamic or static.

You might want to consider a ready made water tight cylinder unit and instructional DVD, and the backing of the best in the business.
see
http://www.caswellplating.com/models/sub-drivers.html

When people usually see the cost of these things (effective proven parts) they normally embark on what they believe is a cost saving alternative rig of their own. I was guilty of this at the start as are most newcomers. 2 decades and many subs later for myself and clients, economy = proven parts and back up by the manufacturer.

Problem is there are but few effective ways to approach RC subs and many many more ways that all start from the premise of economy but practically end in much higher cost and tears. The internet is littered with the garbage of best low cost intentions towards RC subs and sadly the over opinionated skilled internet trolls that can't and don't build a thing. The best place for information and help amongst guys with a proven track record for subs is over at the Sub Drivers Forum.
http://forum.sub-driver.com/
What makes this site different is that its essentially "peer reviewed". You won't find meaningless discussion or reinvented bad wheels or net experts who can't build leading you astray.

There are some real tricks to the Gato for any RC use. You need for example to shed almost all the heavy plastic beneath the deck - left there, it is a massive stability issue. You also need to join the halves together left and right and convert it to upper and lower. Side access is folly.

I'd also dig out from this site the Course 072 article on the Revell Gato.

Hope this helps. - I do hope you enjoy the Gato, and you get it successfully running. There are unfortunately a lot of bum steers people get when they start out in subs, and I hope you avoid them.
J
Last edited by SlatsSSN on 03 Jun 2010 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.
scott154
Club Member
Club Member

Post by scott154 »

WOW John,
Thanks for the heads up and for taking the time to explain what you need to do for a sub project. I just learned my very first lesson and that is to study your next or future projects before you jump in with both feet, and under stand what you could be up for to do the model correctly, with work and money. I know with my ships I like to do things once and the right way it may take three attempts sometimes before you put it on your model but its the way it is. I visited those web sites you suggested and thank you because I think I will need all the help I can get when I start the Gato.I was thinking she will be easy to make into a surface runner before, but you have opened my eyes that its going to be harder then any of my ships, love a good challenge. :taz: :taz: Regards Scott
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Post by SlatsSSN »

Happy to help Scott.

J
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.