AE1 possibly found of PNG reef

SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

AE1 possibly found of PNG reef

Post by SlatsSSN »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 6178946588

It would be nice to close off this for surviving loved ones.

J
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: AE1 possibly found of PNG reef

Post by MikeJames »

The RAN was very careful to state, in their initial announcement, that it could be any one of several navies lost subs and they were contacting the US, Japanese, Dutch and Royal Navies to collaborate with them on identifying the wreck.

Needless to say, that was too difficult for the media to comprehend and they ran with 'Lost Australian sub found!'

Turns out they were wrong.

Wreck in PNG likely to be a Japanese submarine

The uncharted wreck found yesterday, off Rabaul in Papua New Guinea, is likely to be a World War II Japanese submarine.

Underwater vision taken by the Australian Minehunter, HMAS Gascoyne shows the wreck of a submarine, 55 meters below the surface in Simpson Harbour. The wreck is partially buried in the harbour floor but remains upright.

There had been initial media speculation that this may have been the wreck of HMAS AE 1 - Australia’s first submarine, lost in waters east of Rabaul during World War I in September 1914.

The imagery obtained by HMAS Gascoyne was examined by RAN historical staff, who concluded that the wreck is not AE 1 but a Japanese submarine.

The Royal Australian Navy will now work with Japanese authorities to assist in determining the wreck’s identity.

HMAS Gascoyne was taking part in Operation RENDER SAFE - the Australian Defence Force (ADF) contribution to explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) in the Pacific. This year, RENDER SAFE is being conducted in Rabaul over the period 18 October to 4 November.

Speaking to my contact in the RAN Historical section, he stated that it was clear that the wreck was in the wrong area for AE1.

Don't believe a third of whats in the media, particularly regarding Defence matters.

MJ