Australia's first air warfare destroyer provisionally accepted by Department of Defence

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Australia's first air warfare destroyer provisionally accepted by Department of Defence

Post by MikeJames »

Julian Kerr, Sydney - IHS Jane's Navy International
16 June 2017

The first of the Royal Australian Navy's (RAN's) three Hobart-class air warfare destroyers (AWDs) was provisionally accepted by the Department of Defence (DoD) on 16 June from the AWD Alliance.

The grouping consists of the DoD, government-owned shipbuilder ASC, and contractor Raytheon Australia.

NUSHIP Hobart successfully completed 21 days of sea acceptance trials off the south Australian coast in March, involving a series of platform and Aegis combat system tests. Subsequent platform and system familiarisation activities were conducted with the Spanish Armada's Christobal Colon , on whose F-100 design the Hobart class is based.

The 7,000-tonne AWD will undergo further trials off south and east Australia before being formally commissioned into the RAN in Sydney on 23 September.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: Australia's first air warfare destroyer provisionally accepted by Department of Defence

Post by rritchie71 »

Do you have a ticket to the ceremony Russ ?....:)
Or when do you get to crawl over it and get all the walk-around shots ?
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: Australia's first air warfare destroyer provisionally accepted by Department of Defence

Post by RussF172 »

I was asked about going to the commissioning as I know the XO from way back when he was an RP. It was a tough decision to say no but it came down to two events. HOBART's commissioning in Sydney or my eldest daughter Sam's wedding (that little girl who presented flowers at the first TF72 regatta back in 1995). I think everyone can work out what my priority was going to be. I have spoken to HOBART about a look around once she is in service and hopefully a tour for TF72 members. Once CANBERRA is sorted our I am organising a look around her too.
phillip08
President
President
My Ship Yard: HMAS Vendetta II
HMAS Sydney II
HMAS Hobart (under construction)
HMAS Parramatta (under construction)
HMAS Sydney FFG (under construction)

Post by phillip08 »

NUS Hobert entered Sydney harbour yesterday morning and is curently tied up at the northen end of Garden Island.
She is postioned in the good location for photo opportunities. If she is still there in the monring I'll take some photo's.

Regards
Phil
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

A couple of official shots of her arrival.

Mike