My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2017

Post by MikeJames »

Australian Navy sends six-ship fleet on Indo-Pacific mission

Royal Australian Navy's HMAS Darwin, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Parramatta and HMAS Toowoomba steam line astern during their departure from Sydney Harbour during the fleet departure for Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2017 (IPE 17). Photo: Royal Australian Navy

A fleet of six Royal Australian Navy ships got underway from Sydney on September 4 for a series of drills in the Indo-Pacific region.

Running through November 26, the deployment is being referred to as the Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2017 and will see the ships work together with a number of regional navies.

More than 1,200 Australian Defence Force personnel, led by Canberra class amphibious ship HMAS Adelaide, will train with Brunei, Cambodia, the Federated States of Micronesia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand, and Timor-Leste.

Adelaide will be accompanied at various stages of the deployment by frigates HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Darwin, HMAS Toowoomba, HMAS Parramatta, and replenishment ship HMAS Sirius, making it the biggest coordinated Australian task group deployment since the early 1980s.

“This deployment is another opportunity to promote security cooperation in the region and exercise our humanitarian and disaster relief capability where it may be used,” Australian minister for defense Marise Payne said.

Minister Payne said activities like Indo-Pacific Endeavour generated personal relationships, shared experiences and common understanding with our regional partners that could be crucial to success in times of uncertainty or crisis.

Indo-Pacific Endeavour will also involve service personnel from the Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force and include Defence civilians, helicopters, and fixed wing aircraft.

“The Joint Task Group will demonstrate the Australian Defence Force’s ability to operate across the full spectrum of military operations, from high-end military capabilities such as anti-submarine warfare to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief,” Minister Payne said.

ENDS

Comment

Obviously the RAN must be comfortable that they have the maintenance issues with the LPH's fixed to send one on such an out of area deployment. This sort of task force deployment is a great capability-proving mechanism, plus it goes a long way towards reassuring nations in the region of the RAN, and by extension Australia's, willingness and capability to support our friends and allies.

As they said, it's been decades since we did this sort of thing, we used to do task force deployments back in the days of the carrier Melbourne. Good to see and great experience for the crews.

Mike
Last edited by MikeJames on 06 Sep 2017 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
phillip08
President
President
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: HMAS Vendetta II
HMAS Sydney II
HMAS Hobart (under construction)
HMAS Parramatta (under construction)
HMAS Sydney FFG (under construction)

Re: Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2017

Post by phillip08 »

Its good the see Navy getting back to its core business, I'm surprised they did not mention a submarine in the deloyment list. (unless that's a special surprise)

Regards
Phil
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

I got to watch them all sail yesterday from the flight deck and forecastle of the new HOBART. Quite a sight as they all headed out with SIRIUS being last out just before midday. I notice that ADELAIDE had several MRH-90's on board. They are being joined by a couple of COLLINS when they head north.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Take lots of pics of Hobart and the departing ships did we?

Mike
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

I did. A very informative little look around.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

In that case we look forward to your picture thread on this forum :P