Club Event Discussion
SergeSera
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Currently building HMS Brilliant F90,
Ardent F184 commissioned.

Fleet Base Perth-Sail Day

Post by SergeSera »

Good Evening All,

Been a while since a report has been submitted from the West, some of us have had roster changes with work, so unable to attend sail days it all sorted now.
Sail day yesterday - Sunday, usual venue Jackadder lake, in attendance were
Rob R with Peter the Great, Peter P with submarine Scorpion, Nige R and Graeme W with Toowoomba, Bob G with Missouri and Serge S (me) with Ardent.
We had a special visitor Steve Loach who is the Coordinator for WASMEX WA Scale Model exhibition, and he came down to see us sail and offer any assistance for future exhibitions - Steve also models - mostly planes, he is now moving into ships- he is currently building a 1/100 static model of the WW1 Sub AE2 which was scuttled in Turkish waters - Welcome Steve!
Weather conditions were a bit cool and windy, but otherwise ok and as the day wore the weather got better.
The gremlins were at work early, with Bob G Missouri steering gearing getting jammed, the breeze was useful and pushed the Missouri into shore, unfortunately Bob was unable to repair or reset the rudder servo, so Missouri became a very impressive static display in the anchorage. As you can see from a couple of the photos all models encountered weeds, which wrapped around props, shafts and rudders a few heart in the mouth moments as models were going flat out then came to a shuddering stop, luckily there no rescues required as we managed to limp back. Pete took Scorpion out to deeper waters - well we all had to be a little more observant a couple of close calls- every one yelling stop! I thought Frigates were supposed to hunt subs?
As we were all busy sailing not many photos were taken.
A big Happy Birthday to Graeme Walker - Skipper-Arrow we celebrated with coffee and lamingtons.

Till next time

Cheers

Serge
Attachments
Pete & Rob-There is something out there!
Pete & Rob-There is something out there!
Toowoomba, Ardent, Peter the Great and Missouri in the anchorage
Toowoomba, Ardent, Peter the Great and Missouri in the anchorage
Tug and Scorpion in the chop
Tug and Scorpion in the chop
Pete and Scorpion with weed around prop
Pete and Scorpion with weed around prop
Ahoythere
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: FFG04 HMAS Darwin, LCH130 HMAS Wewak, USNS Hiddensee, USS Constellation, HMAS Anzac, USS Scorpion

Re: Fleet Base Perth-Sail Day

Post by Ahoythere »

Although windy and cool, it was a great day. A little bit of 'weeding' to the south eastish taught me to navigate better. Thanks for the photo reminder fellas. ;)
One day I will finish a ship.
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: Fleet Base Perth-Sail Day

Post by rritchie71 »

Catching those golden moments on camera is what friends are for Pete, actually we were all waiting camera in hand to catch you having to wade in after it...... :)

Robert