My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

HMAS Supply Launched

Post by MikeJames »

They kept this damned quiet.

Hi, my name is Darren Grogan and I’m the Commanding Officer Designate of HMAS SUPPLY II. SUPPLY II was launched overnight in Spain and will be one of the Royal Australian Navy’s newest and most exciting capabilities. SUPPLY II is an Auxiliary Oil Replenishment (AOR) Ship and is based on the Spanish Navy's Cantabria class AORs. SUPPLY II (and her sister ship STALWART III) will replace HMA Ships SUCCESS and SIRIUS and will be the most capable replenishment ship in RAN history. Her primary role as an AOR is to carry fuel, dry cargo, water, food, ammunition, equipment and spare parts to provide operational support for the deployed naval or combat forces operating far from port on the high seas for longer periods. In addition to replenishment, SUPPLY II will also be used to combat against environmental pollution at sea, provide logistics support for the armed forces, and to support humanitarian and disaster relief (HADR) operations following a natural disaster.

SUPPLY II will continue the proud tradition and service of SUPPLY I, which was also built in Europe and sailed out to Australia. During her 23 years of service, SUPPLY I conducted over 3400 Replenishment At Sea (RAS) evolutions, provided support to the RNZN protest against French atmospheric nuclear testing, took part in the American bicentenary celebrations and provided much needed support in Darwin after Tropical Cyclone Tracy to name just a few of her achievements.

We are also honoured to continue the legacy of HMS SUPPLY, a 24m two masted sailing craft which arrived in Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 with the First Fleet. HMS SUPPLY was also the first ship to sail into Port Jackson, which is where SUPPLY II will be homeported. HMS SUPPLY spent four years as the only link between the Colony of Port Jackson and the outside world providing valuable supplies and stores to the people of Sydney. Interestingly our role in SUPPLY II is very similar to our ancestors 230 years ago in HMS SUPPLY.

The launch marks the beginning of a long but very exciting journey for those lucky enough to be part of the Commissioning Crew. Over the coming months as the capability continues to grow, the crew will slowly start to form and watch the evolution from afar, waiting patiently for the ship to reach our shores. We welcome you to follow us as we make this journey and create our own history and we look forward to sharing stories with our shipmates that served in SUPPLY I as new stories are created.

Great to see her back on the water! Standby for more footage as it becomes available.

STRENGTHEN THE SHIELD
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: HMAS Supply Launched

Post by RussF172 »

The very next day, the keel has been laid for the second ship HMAS STALWART. A coin placed on the block under the first hull module by Vice-Admiral Mike Noonan. They are pumping them out. I noticed that nothing at all was mentioned on the news last night about SUPPLY's launch.
Attachments
46519858_2432757300072289_5108314796260851712_n.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Last edited by MikeJames on 25 Nov 2018 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

RussF172 wrote:The very next day, the keel has been laid for the second ship HMAS STALWART. A coin placed on the block under the first hull module by Vice-Admiral Mike Noonan. They are pumping them out. I noticed that nothing at all was mentioned on the news last night about SUPPLY's launch.

They were too busy talking about the election result in Victoria.

Pre-election they were talking about a hung parliament, instead it was a one-way rout.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

RAN pennant numbers should be on the bow. Is this a another change in an ever changing world.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

I'm sure it will change Glen. The "A" will also go small. Will probably move to just behind the anchor positions.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

That's Spanish Navy style, as seen on Cantabria

I expect it will change.

I note the funnel block on Supply is much larger than Cantabria.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

I do like the look of them to be honest, but still not a fan of the single shaft driveline :no:

Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

It's no different from Sirus and Supply 1, or all of our FFGs for that matter.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Yes Mike, and all lacking redundancy just like these new Ships...............I think we have been on this subject previously.
Nige
Ahoythere
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: FFG04 HMAS Darwin, LCH130 HMAS Wewak, USNS Hiddensee, USS Constellation, HMAS Anzac, USS Scorpion

Post by Ahoythere »

It's a lot cheaper not having drive line redundancy. This way they can continue giving themselves pay rises. Lets hope we do not end up in a war, I do not think it will be good for us at all.
One day I will finish a ship.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Any news on the supply class oilers

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Navantia-Built AOR vessel 'Supply' intended for Royal Australian Navy starts sea trials

05 AUGUST 2020

Spanish shipbuilder Navantia announced that NUSHIP Supply, a new AOR (Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment) vessel for the Royal Australian Navy departed from the Ferrol shipyard to start initial sea trials.

The sea trials are set to last three days and two nights. The vessel set sails with 135 sailors onboard including shipyard and RAN personnel.

NUSHIP Supply will be heading home to Australia at the end of August. HMAS Supply was set to enter service with the Royal Australian Navy this year. It is not clear if the global health crisis delayed those plans.

The lead ship, HMAS Supply was launched at the Navantia Shipyards in Ferrol, Spain on 24 2020. Supply‘s sister ship, HMAS Stalwart, was launched by Navantia last year in August 2019. It is planned to enter service with the RAN fleet in 2022 and is currently at fitting out stage. The vessels are based on the BAC ‘Cantabria’ (A15) replenishment design of the Spanish Navy.

In addition, the contract includes participation from other Australian companies such as Raytheon, Saab Australia, Scientific Management Associates (SMA), and Baker and Provan.

Specifications:

Displacement: 19,500 tonnes
Length 173.9 metres
Beam 23 metres
Draught 8 metres

Propulsion
2 x MAN 18V 32/40 main engines
4 x MAN 7L21/31 generator sets
Speed 20 knots (maximum)
Range 6,000nm at 13 knots

Capacities
1,450 cubic metres of JP5 jet fuel
8,200 cubic metres of marine diesel fuel
1,400 cubic metres of freshwater
270 tonnes of ammunition
470 tonnes of provisions
Aircraft 1 helicopter
Accommodation for up to 122 personnel including crew
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Australian Navy HMA NUSHIP Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment ship completes sea trials

11 AUGUST 2020

According to a Tweet released By Navantia of August 10, 2020, Australian Navy newest warship, HMA NUSHIP Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) ship, recently completed Sea Acceptance Trials ahead of sailing from Ferrol to Australia later this month for her Australian fit-out.

NUSHIP Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR), recently completed Sea Acceptance Trials. (Picture source Twitter Navantia)

The new Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) ships will replace HMAS Success, a Durance-class multi-product replenishment oiler that previously served in the Royal Australian Navy, and HMAS Sirius, a converted civilian tanker.

NUSHIP Supply (II) is the lead ship of two Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment (AOR) ships currently being built for the Royal Australian Navy by Spanish shipbuilder, Navantia. The Australian Supply Class ships are based on the Spanish Navy's Cantabria Class design.

The ships are intended to carry fuel, dry cargo, water, food, ammunition, equipment and spare parts to provide operational support for the deployed naval or combat forces operating far from the port on the high seas for longer periods.

In addition to replenishment, the vessels can be used to combat against environmental pollution at sea, provide logistics support for the armed forces, and to support humanitarian and disaster relief (HADR) operations following a natural disaster.

NUSHIP Supply was laid down on 18 November 2017 and then launched at the Navantia Shipyards in Ferrol, Spain on 24 November 2018.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Google translation

The first AOR vessel for the Australian Navy departs this Wednesday from Navantia
The military ship will be completed by the branch that the public naval company has in the country bathed by the Indian and Pacific Oceans

27 Aug 2020 - 13:14 Updated 13:17

The first AOR vessel that Navantia Ferrol is building for the Australian Navy is scheduled to leave the shipyard this Wednesday, September 2, heading for a country bathed by the Indian and Pacific Oceans, where it will be completed by the Navantia subsidiary in Australia.

The ship will sail under its own power after having completed sea trials during the first week of this month of August.

The military ship has suffered a slight delay with respect to the initially scheduled delivery date, in part due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, which has caused the slowdown of some of the tasks.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Navantia Says Goodbye to AAOR “Supply” On Her Departure to Australia

(Source: Navantia; issued Sept. 02, 2020)

(Unofficial translation by Defense-Aerospace.com)

The future HMAS Supply, the Australian Navy’s future fleet logistic ship, has sailed from the Spanish shipyard where she was built for Australia, where she will be completed before being handed over to the customer in December. (Navantia photo)

FERROL, Spain --- Navantia celebrated today the farewell to AOR “Supply”, which left this morning from Pier 9 of the Ferrol shipyard, on her way to Australia, where she is expected to arrive in about 35 days of navigation.

Under constrained circumstances due to Covid 19, Navantia dispatched "Supply", the first of the two AOR vessels that it is building for the Royal Australian Navy under a contract signed in May 2016 with the Commonwealth of Australia.

This contract represents 1.5 million man-hours of work per vessel, as well as 35,000 hours for the manufacture and supply of the main engines, diesel generators and reduction gear, and another 35,000 for the Integrated Platform Control System. This will support, until the end of the program, about 1,800 direct and indirect employees, of which more than 330 are direct jobs, more than 530 jobs with subcontractors, and over 900 indirect jobs generated by other suppliers.

In addition, the contract also includes support for the two AOR vessels for a period of five years, and an important participation of Australian industry, which will be responsible for the installation and testing of elements of the combat and communications systems, as well as some logistics areas.

In fact, the ship will arrive at the Royal Australian Navy base in Garden Island, near Perth in Western Australia, where she will be fitted out for final delivery to the Royal Australian Navy this December.

-ends-
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Nuship Supply has just arrived at HMAS Stirling, 0930hrs WA time.
Nige
:tup:
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Woot!

Any images?

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

No pictures yet Mike, and nothing in the media, which is strange.
She was due in tomorrow actually.
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Shot of her arrival.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by littoralcombat »

Here she is, safely alongside.
Nige
Attachments
Screenshot_20201002-183939.jpg
Screenshot_20201002-184041.jpg
Screenshot_20201002-184006.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Thanks Nige.

I know she is about the same size as Success, but she looks smaller in the images, I think the lack of the big solid forward superstructure block does that.

Mike
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Post by rritchie71 »

That would make a nice model...:)

Robert
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Tell me about it, I'd build her, but no hull drawings and thus no hull.

She's be a long one at 174.0 m (570.9 ft)

Thus I am building Protector instead.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

NUSHIP Supply has, as reported below, arrived in Western Australia

Supply will be equipped with additional equipment while in Fremantle, including its Phalanx close-in weapons system on top of the hangar, a full military communications suite to supplement the current civilian comms gear, its two Typhoon remote weapons stations, and its SAAB-derived combat system.

She will be commissioned at Fleet Base East in Sydney in 2021, replacing the now being scrapped Success. NUSHIP Stalwart will follow Supply out from Spain next year and after fit out in WA, will likely commission at HMAS Stirling in 2022, allowing Sirius to be decommissioned and sold.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

NUSHIP Supply will arrive in Sydney Harbour, her new home port, this morning at 9.30 am.

Not sure when her commissioning will be, asking that question.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »