Intro

General Discussion and Questions regarding TF72 and Ship Modelling
Ramjet63
Fleet Base: Non Club Member

Intro

Post by Ramjet63 »

Hi.
I'm Dave Buckley, and just joined the membership on this forum.
I'm in the process of documenting the HMAS Melbourne to build a 1:72 scale model.
The CAD files will be used by a Canadian counterpart to produce a 1:350 scale resin and PE kit.
HvyDgn9 contacted me on the shipmodels.info site and suggested I contact Kerry James on this forum for info on the Melbourne.

Thank you for having me here, and if you read this message Kerry, I'd very much appreciate you getting in touch.

Cheers,

Dave.

kerryjames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Wagga Wagga
My Ship Yard: hmas melbourne ijn shinarno hmnzs warkato hmas wagga uss lexington

Re: Intro

Post by kerryjames »

G,day,Dave, What would you like to know about the Melbourne. And I will try and answer your questions.
Ramjet63

Post by Ramjet63 »

Hi Kerry, and thanks for your response.

I managed to find the model (mark V twin, Mark VII single) of the Bofors, and am now basically looking for port side detail.
I have scoured the net for as many photos as I could find, but the port side does not appear to have been her 'good' side - particularly the superstructure - though I did manage to find one taken from the fore deck, it's a great deal of guesswork as to the layout and features.

I've managed to recreate a basic FLOLS from images found of the Melbourne and Bonneface.

It's early days, but I'm trying to systematically work through it.

Regards,

Dave.
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

Wow that looks good ! What drawing program are you using?? I'm stuck in the stone age all my plans get drawn on paper!!

Cheers Bruce :nuke: :nuke:
Ramjet63

Post by Ramjet63 »

BsHvyCgn9 wrote:Wow that looks good ! What drawing program are you using?? I'm stuck in the stone age all my plans get drawn on paper!!

Cheers Bruce :nuke: :nuke:
Thanks Bruce. I transfer them to paper as well, but I use Solidworks to do the 3D modelling and rendering.

They start as scratchings using a pen, and I use Photoshop to translate dimensions, before drawing them up as 3D models.

The model is then turned into a series of drawings as required.

The renders help me gauge how it's going to look as a solid model from my plans.