RFA LARGS BAY sold to RAN......

Whats been spotted in and around our Navy
CarlLinkenbagh
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Canberra
My Ship Yard: FRUNZE - Russian Kirov class CGN (completing in 2018)
BEZZAVETNYY - Russian Krivak I class FF (commencing 2019)
TASHKENT - Russian Kara class CG (commencing 2019)

RFA LARGS BAY sold to RAN......

Post by CarlLinkenbagh »

Largs Bay acquisition

Minister for Defence Stephen Smith and Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today announced that Australia has been successful in its bid to acquire the United Kingdom’s Bay Class amphibious ship Largs Bay.

The Government has previously announced that it had asked Defence to develop new and comprehensive options to ensure transition to Australia’s Canberra Class amphibious Landing Helicopter Dock ships, which become operational from 2014, including the lease or purchase of a Bay Class Ship from the UK Government.

Today, the Government is confirming that Australia has been successful in its bid to acquire a Bay Class ship, Largs Bay.

Largs Bay is a Landing Ship Dock (LSD) which was commissioned into service in 2006. It became surplus to United Kingdom (UK) requirements as a result of the UK Government’s 2010 Defence Strategic Review.

The ship weighs 16,000 tonnes. It is 176 metres long and 26 metres wide. Its flight deck has room for two large helicopters and can also carry around 150 light trucks and 350 troops. Its cargo capacity is the equivalent of the Royal Australian Navy’s entire amphibious fleet.

Largs Bay is a proven capability having provided humanitarian relief as part of the international response to the Haiti earthquake in 2010.

Largs Bay will help ensure that the Royal Australian Navy has the amphibious capability it needs for operation and humanitarian support in our region in the period leading up to the arrival of the Landing Helicopter Dock Ships.

The ship has been acquired for £65 million (approximately $100 million).

Teekay Shipping Australia has thoroughly inspected the ship and found that: “The ship presents very well, and from a technical point of view, there are no major defects.”

Before the acquisition is finalised, Defence and the Royal Australian Navy will conduct sea trials to confirm the material state of the ship.

The ship is expected to arrive by the end of the year in time for it to be operational in early 2012.

The Government will announce further details of the transition plan for Australia’s amphibious ship capability to provide this essential capability until arrival of the Canberra Class in due course.

SOURCE: http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Smit ... ntId=11663
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Re: RFA LARGS BAY sold to RAN......

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

Atleast its a young hull they can cane the stuffing out of her like they have done with Tobroken...oops Tobruk :D :D

Cheaper than havin the usual development blowouts and cost overruns....

Bruce (B2) :nuke: :nuke:

PS: who's gonna build it in 1/72 first!! not me but its 2.44m x 0.36m in 1/72......
SlatsSSN
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Fleet - in service and under construction

Submarines:
HMS Talent S92 - Trafalgar Class SSN (James Slater)
USS Columbus 762 - Improved LA Class 688i

Merchants:
SMIT Japan Harbour Tug - (James Slater).
Vivienne Venezia - Harbour Tug.

Warships: (Under construction) -
HMAS Anzac -150 FFH (2007)
HMCS Forest Hill -K486 Flower Class Corvette
HMAS Stuart DE48 (James Slater)
HMS Cavalier D73
HMCS Fraser DDH233

Post by SlatsSSN »

BsHvyCgn9 wrote:
PS: who's gonna build it in 1/72 first!! not me but its 2.44m x 0.36m in 1/72......
not me either -ulgy as all - lets just say her bum does look big in that.

Yeah its a big sucker Bruce, in fact just 4m shorter than Giuseppe Garibaldi or as we call her Gazza.

Nice site here with class history pics and some drawings.
http://navy-matters.beedall.com/lsda.htm

J
He who dies with the most toys, just dies...you can't take it with you.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

The delay between acquisition and entry in to service is to allow the C4I (Command, Control, Communications Computers and Intelligence) gear to be moved across from Manoora to replace the somewhat basic kit that the RN fits to the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

That plus running around changing all the stencilling, the pipe identification colours and the OH&S stickers from RN to RAN standard.

Mike
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
USS California CGN36
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

Maybe we should get some one 2 suggest the purchase of HMS ARK ROYAL as well!! since the Pom's don't want her any more!! Get them 2 throw the Ark in as part of the deal and we let em' have New Zealand back..... :twisted: :twisted:

And buy a coupla sqdn's of US built Harriers for her....

Bruce (B2) :nuke: :nuke:
Skipper46
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Canberra
My Ship Yard: HMAS PARRAMATTA III, HMCS SNOWBERRY,

Post by Skipper46 »

I like the way you think Bruce!! :taz: :taz: :taz:
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
USS California CGN36
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

Thx U Thx U !!! I have a coupla other ideas 2 but that one is atleast plausibly !! :ninj: :ninj:
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

New landing ship set for capability boost

Max Blenkin, AAP Defence Correspondent

April 28, 2011 - 11:54AM .

AAP

Mexeflotes and a Helihangar............finally some commonsense.........

Australia's new landing ship, the surplus British fleet auxiliary Largs Bay, is set for a major upgrade even though it hasn't yet been delivered.

Largs Bay, which will be renamed for Australian navy service, appears to be a bargain at $100 million.

To boost its capability to land troops and equipment where no port facilities are available, defence will buy a pair of mexeflotes - large diesel engine powered rafts able to transport loads of up to 110 tonnes.

Mexeflotes can be transported attached to the ship's side or in the rear well deck. Britain used them extensively during the Falklands war and in recent relief operations.

"The likely source of mexeflotes will be from civilian operators. Defence is investigating the acquisition of two reconditioned ex-military mexeflotes from UK civilian operators," a defence spokesman said.

Defence is also buying a helicopter hangar for Largs Bay.

As built, the Largs Bay has no aircraft shelter but the Royal Navy developed a temporary facility that can be installed forward of the flight deck to provide shelter from the elements and as an area to conduct maintenance.

"This capability was determined as necessary to support long-term aircraft embarkations, hence it was included in the project scope submitted to government," the spokesman said.

The new vessel is expected to arrive by year's end and be in service in early 2012, providing the navy with a much-needed amphibious heavy lift capability.

That follows well-publicised problems with older landing ships HMAS Manoora and HMAS Kanimbla, both ex-US Navy vessels launched in 1970 and acquired by Australia in 1995.

The government announced last month Manoora would be retired but repairs to Kanimbla would proceed, with the vessel back in service in April 2012.

With Largs Bay set to provide a major new amphibious capability far earlier than expected, defence and the government have yet to decide whetherto retire Kanimbla now and save on repair costs.

Defence has decided its six LCM-2000 landing craft, deemed unsuitable for use on Manoora and Kanimbla, aren't suitable for use on Largs Bay either and will proceed with plans for their disposal.

Well if they leak and sink, no they are not suitable........simple really

In the meantime, the navy will continue to use older LCM-8 landing craft. The navy is investigating whether the crane aboard Largs Bay could lift a 100-ton LCM-8 onto its deck for transport overseas.

© 2011 AAP
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

Today on channel 10 news they said that we have a new ship called HMAS LARGS BAY, it would be nice if she keeps this name it's a great suburb in Adelaide. Cheers Scott
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Almost certainly she will get a new name, current front runner is HMAS Jervis Bay.

Mike