Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Austal wins $330m Customs boat contract

Post by MikeJames »

The similarity to the Armidale's is readily apparent.

Austal wins $330m Customs boat contract

Updated August 12, 2011 15:49:14

West Australian shipbuilder Austal has secured a multi-million-dollar contract to construct the next batch of Customs and Border Protection patrol boats.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard made the announcement today while touring the company's base in Henderson, south of Perth.

The $330 million contract will see eight Cape Class boats replace an ageing fleet.

Ms Gillard says the investment will boost the Western Australian economy.

"This investment will support 500 direct jobs and indirectly will support around 1,000 more," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-12/a ... ct/2837022
Austal Coast Guard 01.jpg
Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Re: Austal wins $330m Customs boat contract

Post by MikeJames »

Austal's info

AUSTAL AWARDED CAPE CLASS PATROL BOAT PROJECT

August 12, 2011

At a ceremony held on board Austal’s next generation 102 metre trimaran this morning, Austal was awarded a contract for the design, construction and through-life support of eight new patrol boats for the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service.

This contract is Austal’s second significant contract with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, having designed and constructed Customs’ current fleet of eight Bay Class vessels, which have been in operation for over 10 years.

Austal will build the fleet of Cape Class Patrol Boats at its shipyard in Henderson, Western Australia. Construction of the first vessel is expected to commence in February 2012, with all eight due to be delivered between March 2013 and August 2015.

The In-Service Support contract extends for a minimum period of eight years and encompasses a full range of intermediate and depot level maintenance activities. Further options can be exercised by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service for In-Service Support for the life of the Cape Class Patrol Boat Fleet.

The eight 57.8m Cape Class Patrol Boats will play a significant role in protecting Australia’s borders from multiple maritime threats, and have been designed to have greater range, endurance and flexibility, as well as enhanced capability to operate in more severe sea conditions than the current Customs’ fleet.

Austal Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Bellamy, commented that Austal is proud to have been selected to work with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service once again, and that the contract is strategically important for the Western Australian company.

“The Cape Class contract cements Austal’s position as the sole provider of Australia’s Border Protection Command patrol vessels, and as a leading supplier of Australia’s front line border security and surveillance capabilities. It also provides us with the opportunity to continue to work with our long standing partner, DMS Maritime, to provide in-service support for the new Cape Class fleet.”

“This contract is significant for Austal in that it is a key first step in the repositioning of our Henderson facilities as a defence focused operation, and reaffirms our position as an emerging global defence prime contractor.”

“Having already designed and built the Royal Australian Navy’s Armidale Class Patrol Boats, today we are the prime contractor for these new Customs vessels as well as for two multi-ship US Navy programs; the Littoral Combat Ships and Joint High Speed Vessels.”

“The Cape Class contract will also aid Austal in sustaining our Henderson workforce,” concluded Mr Bellamy.
Austal Coast Guard 02.jpg
Mike
steppenrig
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: Prototype Future Frigate

Post by steppenrig »

I'm sensing a theme in the Austal designs...

Bring on the Bay class Mk3! (ACPB being Mk2)

Dave
I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could fly a plane.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Apparently space and weight has been reserved to fit the same gun up forward as fitted to the Armidale's.

Coat Guard may not be the title, but it is the long term intention.