Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

OPV construction

Postby glenhowells » 01 Aug 2018 15:07

Now nuship Sydney has been in the water for 2 and half months now why have they not started building the OPV's yet. With them being rather smaller than the AWD's surely there is available space to start building them. Is there a time line in place for the 2 building in SA.
Cheers Glen
rritchie71
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: OPV construction

Postby rritchie71 » 01 Aug 2018 15:27

To make the deadline for the new frigates and for WA to take over in 2020, ASC should have started cutting the steel back in April, do not know if they have or not. They did have skills shortages because a lot of the people like boiler makers and fitters etc have already left.

Note - The other important question is, will Civmec be properly ready to take over in time, rumor has it they won't be.

Robert
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Postby MikeJames » 04 Oct 2018 15:26

Morrison floats his defence boats vision

ANDREW BURRELL
WA CHIEF REPORTER
@AndrewBurrell7

12:00AM OCTOBER 4, 2018

Wearing the obligatory hard hat and high-vis vest, Scott Morrison got his hands dirty yesterday as he helped cut the first steel for Australia’s new $3.6 billion offshore patrol vessels.

At the end of a three-day trip to Western Australia, the Prime Minister toured the nation’s largest ship assembly hall at engineering firm Civmec’s new $85 million facility. He was accompanied by senior WA Liberals including Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, senator Dean Smith and former foreign minister Julie Bishop.

Ten of the 12 patrol boats will be built at the Civmec facility, starting in 2020.

“This is 1000 jobs, and this is Australian steel going into Australian ships,” Mr Morrison said. “You see the defence supply chain at work — steel from Port Kembla, cutting here, work being done in other parts of the country. This is what our defence industry plan is delivering.”

The government’s $90bn naval ship building program includes 12 submarines, nine future frigates and 21 Pacific patrol boats.

Mr Morrison said the OPV project would help boost the WA economy, which is recovering after several years of recession.
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Albany CG10

Postby BsHvyCgn9 » 04 Oct 2018 17:59

nothing much happening (visibly) at ASC just ongoing construction work on shipyard expansion....

B2 :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Postby littoralcombat » 04 Oct 2018 19:15

My Spies tell me a big order went in for Copper Nickel Pipe with a European manufacturer. Problem was, they tried to go cheap and get lower Spec than was specified in the contract to save money. Lurssen found out and were not amused.
Lets hope there is not a repeat of the debacle where ASC did the same on the first AWD, buying cheapo steel pipe from China. Result.....rip it all out and start again. :no:
Nige

Return to “Australian Navy”