My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

HMAS Supply Launched

Postby MikeJames » 25 Nov 2018 14:33

They kept this damned quiet.

Hi, my name is Darren Grogan and I’m the Commanding Officer Designate of HMAS SUPPLY II. SUPPLY II was launched overnight in Spain and will be one of the Royal Australian Navy’s newest and most exciting capabilities. SUPPLY II is an Auxiliary Oil Replenishment (AOR) Ship and is based on the Spanish Navy's Cantabria class AORs. SUPPLY II (and her sister ship STALWART III) will replace HMA Ships SUCCESS and SIRIUS and will be the most capable replenishment ship in RAN history. Her primary role as an AOR is to carry fuel, dry cargo, water, food, ammunition, equipment and spare parts to provide operational support for the deployed naval or combat forces operating far from port on the high seas for longer periods. In addition to replenishment, SUPPLY II will also be used to combat against environmental pollution at sea, provide logistics support for the armed forces, and to support humanitarian and disaster relief (HADR) operations following a natural disaster.

SUPPLY II will continue the proud tradition and service of SUPPLY I, which was also built in Europe and sailed out to Australia. During her 23 years of service, SUPPLY I conducted over 3400 Replenishment At Sea (RAS) evolutions, provided support to the RNZN protest against French atmospheric nuclear testing, took part in the American bicentenary celebrations and provided much needed support in Darwin after Tropical Cyclone Tracy to name just a few of her achievements.

We are also honoured to continue the legacy of HMS SUPPLY, a 24m two masted sailing craft which arrived in Botany Bay on 18 January 1788 with the First Fleet. HMS SUPPLY was also the first ship to sail into Port Jackson, which is where SUPPLY II will be homeported. HMS SUPPLY spent four years as the only link between the Colony of Port Jackson and the outside world providing valuable supplies and stores to the people of Sydney. Interestingly our role in SUPPLY II is very similar to our ancestors 230 years ago in HMS SUPPLY.

The launch marks the beginning of a long but very exciting journey for those lucky enough to be part of the Commissioning Crew. Over the coming months as the capability continues to grow, the crew will slowly start to form and watch the evolution from afar, waiting patiently for the ship to reach our shores. We welcome you to follow us as we make this journey and create our own history and we look forward to sharing stories with our shipmates that served in SUPPLY I as new stories are created.

Great to see her back on the water! Standby for more footage as it becomes available.

STRENGTHEN THE SHIELD
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS NEWCASTLE (FFG-06)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Re: HMAS Supply Launched

Postby RussF172 » 25 Nov 2018 17:20

The very next day, the keel has been laid for the second ship HMAS STALWART. A coin placed on the block under the first hull module by Vice-Admiral Mike Noonan. They are pumping them out. I noticed that nothing at all was mentioned on the news last night about SUPPLY's launch.
Attachments
46519858_2432757300072289_5108314796260851712_n.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Postby MikeJames » 25 Nov 2018 18:30

Last edited by MikeJames on 25 Nov 2018 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Postby MikeJames » 25 Nov 2018 18:32

RussF172 wrote:The very next day, the keel has been laid for the second ship HMAS STALWART. A coin placed on the block under the first hull module by Vice-Admiral Mike Noonan. They are pumping them out. I noticed that nothing at all was mentioned on the news last night about SUPPLY's launch.

They were too busy talking about the election result in Victoria.

Pre-election they were talking about a hung parliament, instead it was a one-way rout.
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Postby glenhowells » 25 Nov 2018 19:37

RAN pennant numbers should be on the bow. Is this a another change in an ever changing world.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS NEWCASTLE (FFG-06)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Postby RussF172 » 25 Nov 2018 22:38

I'm sure it will change Glen. The "A" will also go small. Will probably move to just behind the anchor positions.
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Postby MikeJames » 26 Nov 2018 04:18

That's Spanish Navy style, as seen on Cantabria

I expect it will change.

I note the funnel block on Supply is much larger than Cantabria.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Postby littoralcombat » 26 Nov 2018 15:49

I do like the look of them to be honest, but still not a fan of the single shaft driveline :no:

Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Postby MikeJames » 26 Nov 2018 18:35

It's no different from Sirus and Supply 1, or all of our FFGs for that matter.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Postby littoralcombat » 27 Nov 2018 00:11

Yes Mike, and all lacking redundancy just like these new Ships...............I think we have been on this subject previously.
Nige
Ahoythere
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: FFG04 HMAS Darwin, LCH130 HMAS Wewak, USNS Hiddensee, USS Constellation, HMAS Anzac, USS Scorpion

Postby Ahoythere » 29 Nov 2018 15:59

It's a lot cheaper not having drive line redundancy. This way they can continue giving themselves pay rises. Lets hope we do not end up in a war, I do not think it will be good for us at all.
One day I will finish a ship.

Return to “Australian Navy”