Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

2023 Annual Regatta venue change

Post by MikeJames »

Hi guys, message from Fleet Base Sydney rep Phil Chapman relating to the Annual Regatta venue, in case you had not previously seen it.

Good Afternoon

I have received advice from Blue Mountains City Council that construction works on the eastern end of the lake will commence in October. The below photo shows the areas that will be closed for construction equipment. As you can see from the photo, the car park area where we park our vehicles plus the road and boat ramp, we utilise for launching larger models, is also closed.

The green line in the photo will be the main pedestrian access path which will intersect the area where our gazebos are normally erected.

The water level of the lake will also be reduced at some stage in order to assist the construction process.

WWF construction.jpg

Unfortunately, as a result of the above information, the 2023 National Regatta will not be held at Wentworth Falls Lake.

Fortunately, with the assistance of the Workers Hubertus Model Boat Club president, Doug Wright, Task Force 72 has secured a lake booking for Saturday 25 Nov for the Regatta and an invitation to join the WHMBC for a sail on Sunday 26 Nov 2023. Task Force 72 would like to thank the A Class sailing group for giving up their lake booking for Saturday 25th November.

Therefore, the 2023 National Regatta will now be held at the Workers Hubertus Country Club Lake. The club is located at 205 Adams Road, Luddenham, in Sydney's western suburbs.

I know a lot of attending members, myself included, had accommodation bookings in Katoomba. Unless you still want to stay in the mountains, I would suggest cancelling your booking and find accommodation closer to Luddenham, possibly Penrith which is only 20 minute’s drive to Hubertus.

If you are interested, I have contacted the Quality Inn, 261 Mulgoa Road, Penrith, + 61 2 4734 5555 and have been advised they have accommodation vacancies. If you are interested, I wouldn’t leave it too long to organise an accommodation change.

I apologise for the venue change but as you can see from the construction closures Wentworth Falls Lake wasn’t an option. Fortunately, with over 2 months’ notice, most of you should be able to cancel accommodation without an issue.

I still need to speak with the WHCC manager and dinning staff but I am hopeful the Saturday night dinner will be held at the Workers Hubertus Country Club.

Regards

Phil.