Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

NUSHIP Stalwart heads for home.

Post by MikeJames »

The Navy's second Cantabria class replenishment ship has departed Ferrol in Spain bound for her new home at HMAS Stirling. Too bad we knocked back their offer of a third ship for the same price as the first two, that way we'd always have one available.

Royal Australian Navy’ Second Supply-Class AOR Sails Home

The Royal Australian Navy’ second Supply Class Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment ship, NUSHIP Stalwart, departed for Australia from Pier 12 in Navantia’s Ferrol shipyard on Thursday, 20 May 2021.

Navantia press release

The ‘Stalwart’ is the second of two supply vessels (AOR) built by Navantia Ferrol for the Royal Australian Navy. The ship will now navigate for 30 days towards her homeport, HMAS Stirling, in Western Australia. ‘Stalwart’ will then undergo a final fit-out where the installation and testing of the combat and communications systems, as well as some logistics areas, will be completed by Australian industry.

The Australian ambassador to Spain, Her Excellency Ms Sophia McIntyre, participated in the farewell to NUSHIP ‘Stalwart’, together with the president of Navantia, Mr Ricardo Domínguez and the director of the Ferrol shipyard, Mr Eduardo Dobarro.

“Navantia’s role in constructing four classes of ship for Australia has formed an important plank in the development and evolution of our political, economic, military and cultural ties. It’s an honour for Australia to have taken its place as a part of Galicia’s historic and impressive tradition of ship building. Navantia will continue to play a crucial role in providing platform support for these ships in Australia”
Australian ambassador to Spain, Her Excellency Ms Sophia McIntyre

“Australia has relied on Navantia to provide a decisive capacity to achieve the country’s strategic objectives in the maritime field. Be sure that Navantia is and will continue to be your partner,”
President of Navantia, Mr Ricardo Domínguez

The president of Navantia especially recognized the efforts of the workers and highlighted the importance of the next program for the Spanish Navy in which the shipyard is already embarked, the frigate F-110, which will be a lever for growth and employment.

The director of the shipyard, Eduardo Dobarro, underlined “the knowledge, know-how and effort made by the workers, both of Navantia and its collaborating industry, especially in such a delicate situation, caused by the pandemic”.

After the speeches, the rope launching maneuver was carried out and the anthems of Australia and Spain were interpreted with the last one.

The contract for two AOR vessels was the fourth signed between Navantia and the Commonwealth of Australia, after the construction of two LHDs and its 12 landing crafts and the design and transfer of technology for three AWD destroyers.

This contract for the two AOR vessels also includes their sustainment, for which Navantia Australia is developing an advanced asset management model to support the life cycle during the first five years.

Likewise, it will also require an important participation of the Australian industry that will be responsible for the installation and testing of elements of the combat and communications systems, as well as some logistic areas.

After completing these works, the ship will be delivered to the Commonwealth of Australia on August 31. Australia is a strategic client for Navantia.

When the second AOR is operational, the Royal Australian Navy will have in service 19 naval units designed by Navantia. In addition to supporting the life cycle of AOR vessels, Navantia Australia is involved the support of all other units.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Re: NUSHIP Stalwart heads for home.

Post by littoralcombat »

Nuship Stalwart is currently (1940hrs AWST) steaming around approx 50km West of Rottnest Island. She is due to berth at HMAS Stirling at 0800hrs tomorrow Morning (Monday 21st June).
:tup:
Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

I'm reliably informed that Navantia offered Navy a third Cantabria (Success?) for much the same price as the first two, because they need the work to keep their shipyard turning over. They also offered us a third Canberra class.

Navy turned both down because we don't have the people to crew a third of either, let alone two new ships. That's why we've had an Anzac on the hard stand for 4 years at Henderson in Western Australia.

With all the billions being spent on defence, you would think we would recruit more people, given all three services are short of warm bodies and its one of our biggest weaknesses.

Mike
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

Second Supply-class AOR vessel for RAN arrives in Australia

by Gabriel Dominguez

The second and final Supply-class auxiliary oiler replenishment (AOR) ship on order for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) has arrived in Australia after having left the facilities of shipbuilder Navantia in northwest Spain on 20 May.

The RAN announced via Twitter that Stalwart (with pennant number A304) arrived at Fleet Base West – its future homeport in Western Australia – on 22 June.

Launched on 30 August 2019 the 173.9 m-long vessel will now undergo a final fit-out “where the installation and testing of the combat and communications systems, as well as some logistics areas, will be completed by Australian industry”, according to Navantia.

Stalwart , the second Supply-class AOR on order for the RAN, arrived in Australia on 22 June after having left the facilities of shipbuilder Navantia in northwest Spain on 20 May. (Royal Australian Navy)

Stalwart is expected to be handed over to the Commonwealth of Australia on 31 August and enter RAN service later this year, replacing supply ship HMAS Sirius .

Both Stalwart and first-of-class HMAS Supply , which was commissioned on 10 April at Fleet Base East in Sydney, are based on the Spanish Navy's Cantabria-class AORs. The Australian ships are part of an AUD642 million (USD481 million) contract signed with Navantia in May 2016 under Canberra's Project Sea 1654 Phase 3 Maritime Operational Support Capability programme.

The 19,500-tonne Supply-class ships are intended to carry fuel, dry cargo, water, food, ammunition, equipment, and spare parts to provide operational support for the deployed naval or combat forces operating at sea for longer periods.
Spartacus01
Vice President
Vice President
Fleet Base: Victoria
My Ship Yard: Z39 Zerstorer - German Destroyer 1/72
HMS Triumph - Trafalgar Class Submarine 1/72
Thunderbird 6 - AHTS 200 1/72

Post by Spartacus01 »

The Bulbous bow on these ships looks ridiculously long.
Many modern naval architects appear to have failed normal architecture and tried this as a career.

The good thing for modellers is that they can build in a good battering ram to protect the bow of their ships from "accidents". :oops1:

Regards
Haig
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong

Post by MikeJames »

The longer the bulbous bow, the farther ahead the bow wave begins and the lower the water resistance along the forward part of the hull.

It's particularly useful for those vessels that spend a lot of time at a set speed, such as merchant vessels and naval auxiliaries such as AORs, as it can be designed to support a set speed, which is why almost all container ships and cruise ships have large and complex ones fitted.

Basically it results in lower fuel costs at a set speed, around 12-15% better than if they didn't have them. Their presence also increases buoyancy forward and reduces pitching, which is useful for a replenishment ship and really desirable for a cruise ship.

I agree though that they aren't the most attractive feature of a ship's design.

Mike
sjbatche
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Wagga Wagga
My Ship Yard: J172 - Bathurst Class Corvette
206 - Fremantle Class Patrol Boat
92 - Armidale Class Patrol Boat
90 - Attack Class Patrol Boat
155 - Anzac FFH
84 - Huon Class Mine Hunter
L127 - Landing Craft Heavy
M80 - Mine Hunter Catamaran
001 - Pacific Forum Patrol Boat
59 - Oberon Class Submarine
HTS502 - Harbour Tug Small

Post by sjbatche »

While I agree that bulbous bow looks pretty long at water level, we probably need to consider that there is a fair bit of these ships under the water. The bulb seems to be more in proportion to the rest of the hull when you look at the underwater profile.

Bow.jpg
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Yesterday, under a clear blue WA sky, HMAS Stalwart was formally Commissioned.
See link below for the livestream that was available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcxiFHnaGd4

A nice ceremony, not a single Twerker to be seen :D

Nige
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong