Uralla Can Assist Fun Day

Club Event Discussion
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Uralla Can Assist Fun Day

Post by RussF172 »

We were asked a few weeks ago about sailing on a beautiful private lake for the Uralla Can Assist Family Fishing and Fun Day this Saturday the 22nd of February. Until Tuesday it was going to be impossible to sail however over the past few days all the rain we've had over the past week has made its way into the lake. It is now full so I've decided to go along and have a sail. We'll sail from 12pm until 2pm and probably after the golf comp as the event goes on into the evening.

I am hoping that if this works well that we can maybe make it a big event in future years and involve more members if they'd like to come up. They have a heap of fun things for the kids including a fishing comp prior to us sailing and then a golf driving comp after we finish. Live band (great local group), sausage sizzle, auction, jumping castle and other fun stuff.

Just on the off chance if anyone wants to come up for the day, they would be most welcome. Photos to follow on Saturday. My co-captain will be Melanie which she is very excited about.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Re: Uralla Can Assist Fun Day

Post by RussF172 »

A good afternoon sailing on beautiful dam. A little hard to launch as the wharf was a little high still, however with a couple of willing hands CHURCHILL was in the water and I sailed around for about and hour and half. I decided that after that it was probably a wise move to leave the dam as they were about to start the golf comp. With the tee on one side of the dam and the green on the other I thought it wise to get out of the way. Missiles are good but probably not good enough to intercept an incoming golf ball :D A few photos to follow shortly. I spoke to the owner and he asked for my ideas about easier launching and we came up with the idea of grading a beach into the side of the dam. Maybe done for next year. I did ask him if it might be possible to leave the water level up next year. It often gets up to the bottom of the wharf which would make the deck about two inches above the surface, a bit like at Penrith. Overall a good fun couple of hours.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Post by RussF172 »

A photo of the models set up at the dam.
Attachments
20200222_115304.jpg
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Good one Russ! I am assuming both models are yours? They look superb, especially with your standardised stands. ( nice van also, by the way!) Will look forward to more pictures.
:clap:
Nige
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)

Post by RussF172 »

Hi Nige, thanks. I make all the stands the same so they all match in when on display. The stand is one of the first things I build for the model. Usually after the deck frames go in. Gives a nice stable work base for the model. I wish I had it yesterday but I am getting an awning for the van which will pulls out. I can set up under it for display like yesterdays. It would have been great yesterday as even though very overcast I go a sunburnt neck. :roll: