Wreck - Krivak II frigate - NEUKROTIMYY

CarlLinkenbagh
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Canberra
My Ship Yard: FRUNZE - Russian Kirov class CGN (completing in 2018)
BEZZAVETNYY - Russian Krivak I class FF (commencing 2019)
TASHKENT - Russian Kara class CG (commencing 2019)

Wreck - Krivak II frigate - NEUKROTIMYY

Post by CarlLinkenbagh »

It's amazing what you find on the internet.

I just stumbled across these astonishing photos of the Krivak II class frigate NEUKROTIMYY ("Indomitable"). According to internet sources she was commissioned in 1977, suffered accidental mine damage followed by a serious fire in 2005 and 2008 respectively and was decommissioned in 2009.

In 2012, while being towed for scrapping, she sank in the Baltic.

She's now sitting ashore in Kaliningrad, having been cut into several pieces and dragged ashore. The photos are fascinating and well worth a look.

https://abandonedway.com/2021/04/the-sh ... domitable/
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: Wreck - Krivak II frigate - NEUKROTIMYY

Post by MikeJames »

Sad images Carl.

The Russian's are burdened with a navy where pretty much any surface ship over a corvette in size is basically a Soviet-era vessel, making them a minimum of 35 years old at the absolute youngest. That's why so many are left to rot, they weren't properly maintained for almost two decades due to lack of money and now they are paying the penalty.

For all Putin's rhetoric the Russian shipyards can't replace destroyers and frigates, instead turning out over-armed corvettes and patrol boats.

The only part of the Russian Navy that works to any sort of quality and capability is the submarine arm.

Mike