Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Time is up for RFA Black Rover

Post by glenhowells »

It seams the RFA has the same problem as the RN. They refit ships then send them to the scrap yard. Black Rover although old has just completed a refit and she will be gone in a couple of months time. Early this year Orange Leaf had an extensive refit then sat along side doing nothing. She is in Turkey now being cut up as we speak.

Glen
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: Time is up for RFA Black Rover

Post by rritchie71 »

It was probably to keep people in work, we are doing that with Anzacs, they are going 10years before their time, so people can build the replacements and stay in a job.

Hopefully, moving into this new business model of continuous building (it's a good thing) they will work out schedules accurately enough for building and refitting ships that we do not do what the RN is doing.

Cheers

Robert
glenhowells
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMAS Derwent
HMAS Swan (building)
HMAS Tarakan (building)
HMS Hermes (Hull being built)

Post by glenhowells »

Hi Rob
I see your point keeping people in work. The money they are paying for refits just to pay vessels off soon after, i think can be better invested. The RN are going to need 20 patrol vessels around 25mtrs in length if they take over boarder protection in the UK. It's one avenue they can look at to keep people in work

Cheers Glen
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

The Rovers must be getting very long in the tooth, so perhaps scrapping them was an economy measure, keeping ships that old maintained and running becomes a big strain on maintenance.

In addition, they weren't double-hulled, so they don't meet the ever more stringent environmental regulations coming into force. That's why we double-hulled Success at considerable cost and a reduction in available capacity.

The new Cantabria class (Supply, Success and Sirius perhaps) are delivered meeting all current environmental standards and are double-hulled.

Mike
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

I did a refit on her in the mid-1990s at Devonport, she was, I thought at the time, in a poor material state then. We did not normally do RFAs but having done Sir Percivale and Gold Rover in quick succession I realised that all of their ships are worked very hard indeed.
As for refitting and then scrapping, not common sense, but every deployment would require some level of upkeep, whether it be a full refit, DED (docking & essential defects) or just a good old fashioned change the oil, check the tyre pressures, clean the windscreen type service. ;)