NEW AWD

rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

NEW AWD

Post by rritchie71 »

The new AWD, well almost, these shots are of F105 Chistopher Columbus of the Spanish navy, on trials 12th March 2012 , she is suppose to be the final config (with all the mods) of the F100 class and what our AWD's as based on, with a couple of other mods as I understand it.

Link
http://www.fotosdebarcos.org/viewtopic.php?t=20818

Robert
Attachments
120312-F-105-CCN-056.jpg
120312-F-105-CCN-085.jpg
120312-F-105-CCN-042.jpg
120312-F-105-CCN-032.jpg
rritchie71
Committee
Committee
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: HMAS Adelaide (LHD), USS Roosevelt, USS Anzio, RFS Peter the Great, Scharnhorst, HMAS Melbourne, HMAS Sydney (AWD), ITS Carlo Bergamini, HNLMS Evertsen, HMS Middelton, HMS Severn, RFS Arkangelsk, Fairplay 30, Normand Master, Fure West

Re: NEW AWD

Post by rritchie71 »

If you look at the other F100's (F104 Mendez shown) you can see several differences (sat domes, funnel etc).
Attachments
502982.jpg
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

Some good photos there Robert. She is certainly a lot closer cousin to our AWD than what the previous four FFGs were. A lot of what has gone into here is going into the AWD's but I can still see quite a few differences between the two of them. Ours are going to have more US specific systems on them than the Spanish ships so will have different radar apart from the SPY-1D (ie: SPQ-9B). As ours are also going to be used for Command and Control she will carry a lot more comms gear and has a lot more domes etc. They will be a recognition test for the BMs when they get together. I am sure that one of the first trips that HOBART will do will be to go to Spain to be shown off as well as the US. I can see a round the world trip for her once all the trails etc are done and she reaches operational condition (OLOC). I'll be interested to see if the Spanish do any upgrades like HOBART will have. If the state of Europe continues down its current path of having to be bailed out of finacial trouble I can see these ships being fitted with just the bare minimum of gear. No bucks to spend on upgrades. Thanks again for posting these.
Attachments
Hobart-1.JPG
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

I am led to believe that the RAN is looking to send an AWD to Europe for a session where it will be run through FOST's weekly war.

FOST is Flag Officer Surface Training, the Royal Navy's key sea training organisation, which sends ships though extremely complex multi-threat environments, facing surface, subsurface and air threats all at once.

I understand this will probably be combined with some missile firings at the Atlantic missile firing range, which is significantly more instrumented than the Pacific one off Hawaii, partially as it includes a land attack element to the range.

There is also a specific Aegis-related calibration facility based on the US East coast, which would be very useful to help train RAN operators in utilising a capability light years ahead of anything we have ever operated in the radar / electronic warfare field.

Mike
scott154
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: HMAS Parramatta 154(under construction), USS Scott 995(under construction), HMAS Canberra 02, HMAS Glenelg 96, HMS Active 171(under construction),Giuseppe Garibaldi 551( under construction), HMAS Sydney 42.

Post by scott154 »

:clap: I dropped passed the AWD shipyard on Saturday the 21st Feb and saw that Brisbane has jumped forward in leaps and bounds and I'd say it shouldn't be long till Hobart is in the water! Enjoy the photos. Scott
Attachments
Better shot of Hobart's Mast
Better shot of Hobart's Mast
Brisbane with Hobart in the distance
Brisbane with Hobart in the distance
Brisbane's Bow and rear of her foward superstructure
Brisbane's Bow and rear of her foward superstructure
Brisbane's flag bin area
Brisbane's flag bin area
Brisbane's Midships
Brisbane's Midships
Brisbane's rear section
Brisbane's rear section
BsHvyCgn9
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Gulf Waters
My Ship Yard: USS Long Beach CGN9
USS California CGN36
USS John Paul Jones DDG53
USS Saipan LHA2
USS Shark SSN591
USS Seawolf SSN21
USS Albany CG10

Post by BsHvyCgn9 »

I was about 25m from Hobarts bow a week or so ago when on my way out of the shipyard after dropping off a big box at the Stores building. She looks pretty big up on the slipway but is still only a little ship!!

Bruce (B2) :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: