Seeking Spica-class fans...

General Discussion and Questions regarding TF72 and Ship Modelling
WpgModeller
Fleet Base: Non Club Member

Seeking Spica-class fans...

Post by WpgModeller »

(I hope this is the correct place to put a general inquiry, but I'm sure if there's a better place the moderators will move it there)

I am looking for some like-minded modellers to share some development costs for having fibreglass hulls of the Italian 'Spica' class torpedo-boats made (obviously in 1/72 scale). MTB Hulls in the UK will add new items to their range as long as they can guarantee four orders, and while I could put in two for myself I'd rather not have to pay for all four, have them shipped to me and then have to find other interested parties to take three of them off my hands. In this scale the Spica would come out to around 46 inches long by 4.5 inches wide and cost about 80 pounds each.

As for actually building the result, I believe plans are available from Italian archives, however they'd likely be expensive and in a metric scale like 1/100 or 1/50. If I can get the hulls I wouldn't mind redrawing major components and structures digitally in the right scale and passing that information on to anyone else building one, free of charge.
spica1.jpg
69g5dh6i82s01.jpg
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: Seeking Spica-class fans...

Post by MikeJames »

I did the same thing with Christian for the Garcia / Brooke hulls. We got the plans and Christian moulded the hulls on the basis that we had three orders. Very happy with the work he's done here.

Spoke to Charles at C&C and he resized the existing superstructure kits for both to 1:72, so all good.

You will be very happy with Christian's work, they aren't quite the masterwork's that Tim does, but they're very good just the same.

Mike