Advice

General Discussion and Questions regarding TF72 and Ship Modelling
Steventico
Web Member
Web Member
Fleet Base: None
My Ship Yard: ALL 72 SCALE HMS ARK ROYAL [INVINCIBLE CLASS] USS PORT ROYAL USS MCLUSKY HMS EDINBURGH HMS NOTTINGHAM HMS SUTHERLAND HMS BATTLEAXE HMCS TORONTO HMCS ARTHBAKAN HMCS HALIFAX [FELEX UPGRADED] HMAS ANZAC F150
NEW AWD HMAS BRISBANE UNDER CONSTRUCTION BREMEN CLASS FRIGATE HMS CUMBERLAND HMS BLACK ROVER

Advice

Post by Steventico »

Hi Guys

Guys can pass on this post to gentlemen who presently build the Freedom lcs UUS Indinapolis which was in sailing in video in jackadder Lake please
I look for advice on the waterjets he used

Cheers

Stevie
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Re: Advice

Post by MikeJames »

That would be NSW resident and former TF72 president Tony Page.

His details are in the Bridge Card.

Mike
Spartacus01
Vice President
Vice President
Fleet Base: Victoria
My Ship Yard: Z39 Zerstorer - German Destroyer 1/72
HMS Triumph - Trafalgar Class Submarine 1/72
Thunderbird 6 - AHTS 200 1/72

Post by Spartacus01 »

The Freedom Class LCS being sailed at Jack Adder Lake last week is in Western Australia. It is not yet listed on our Bridge Card.
It is identified as USS Indianopolis on the video and is still under construction.

I will find out who the owner is from the Fleet Base Rep. in Perth

Regards
Haig
MikeJames
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Sydney
My Ship Yard: RAN DDL HMAS Kokoda
Australian Coast Guard cutter Nemesis
RAN FCPB HMAS Wollongong
German SAR Launch DGzRS Berln
SS Geest Atlas (Building)

Post by MikeJames »

My mistake, sorry, that was USS independence which was the Austal-designed LCS.

My bad.

Mike.
RussF172
Life Member
Life Member
Fleet Base: Hunter Central
My Ship Yard: USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)
HMAS HOBART (DDGH-39)
HMAS CANBERRA (LHD-02)
HMAS ADELAIDE (FFG-01 - 1990)
HMAS HUNTER (FFG-???)
HMAS ARUNTA (FFH-151)
HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) Perth Class Post Mod.
WRS RUSHCUTTER (A-51) Weapon Recovery/Training/Drone launch ship

Post by RussF172 »

Andy Kemp in WA is building the Freedom Class LCS model.
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
Fleet Base: Perth
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Gents,
Andrew is building Fort Worth, another FBP Member (Jeff) is constructing the LCS in question.
Suggest you contact our Rep, Bob Gilbert, for his contact details.
Nige
Steventico
Web Member
Web Member
Fleet Base: None
My Ship Yard: ALL 72 SCALE HMS ARK ROYAL [INVINCIBLE CLASS] USS PORT ROYAL USS MCLUSKY HMS EDINBURGH HMS NOTTINGHAM HMS SUTHERLAND HMS BATTLEAXE HMCS TORONTO HMCS ARTHBAKAN HMCS HALIFAX [FELEX UPGRADED] HMAS ANZAC F150
NEW AWD HMAS BRISBANE UNDER CONSTRUCTION BREMEN CLASS FRIGATE HMS CUMBERLAND HMS BLACK ROVER

Post by Steventico »

Hi Guys

Guys I would to thanks every one who took the time to post messages on this thread ,I keep everyone updated if I am unable to locate these members

Steven
PearlHarbour52
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: HMS Manchester
HMS Charybdis
INS Kirpan
HMAS Hammersley
HNLMS Tromp
USS Long Beach

Post by PearlHarbour52 »

G'day Stevie
In answer to your questions, my build of the USS Indianapolis is based upon a Freedom Class LCS hull i had commissioned through Christian at MTB Hulls in 1/72 scale.
As you may be aware, the Freedom class configuration jet and bucket setup is different from the Independence class, where the latter has 4 jets and 4 buckets used in conjunction for propulsion and steering, the Freedom class has 2 outer jets and buckets used for steering and the inner 2 jets purely for propulsion.
On the model itself, the inner 2 jets are Graupner jest with 12V 600 DC motors, which are now extremely rare to acquire as Graupner has now gone out of business. The outer 2 jets where acquired through the web as I was restricted by size on the inner dimensions of the hull with 2 12V 600 DC motors used through direct drive.
The steering buckets were designed and made through a 3D process by another FBP member, Jeff Ellis, who works for Austal itself. The linkages for the steering and reversing for the buckets were utilised using micro servos for space and functionality.
On the water trials have been slow and frustrating as firstly you have to ensure that 28 holes you have made in the hull are watertight! Once done the on the water power trials can begin.
I found after initial trials, that the boat when going full on all the jets, would not turn left as quickly as to the right. This was caused due to the 4 jet impellors having a right hand thread and thus when I had the inner jets at full power, it causes a vortex and thus could not steer effectively each way.
I have reduced the inner jet end points to the motors by 40% but after another sea trial last Sunday, the same problem occurs and there is no power equal to the outer steering motors.
The only way to resolve this matter is to install stronger motors which is now in progress. I am looking to install either 2 12V 700 0r 800 DC motors but the diameter of the motors may be an issue.
Andrew
littoralcombat
Club Member
Club Member
My Ship Yard: Building HMS Leeds Castle P258, HMS Bristol D23, HMS Broadsword F88, Forward Planning for HMS Invincible R05

Post by littoralcombat »

Sorry Andrew, when did you swap Ships? I've been out of the loop for a while as you know. Bit busy building 1/1 scale Ships :D .
Nige